Author Topic: Windows 7 Music Library integration with MB  (Read 3460 times)

VX

It seems that Music Bee has take no advantage of the Windows 7 Music Libraries that are considered to be one of the best enhancements in this operating system. Suggested enhancements:

1. Windows 7 Music Library should be (optionally) included to MB Library when MB runs for the first time;

1.1. an option to automatically update MB Library every time a folder or a file is added from Windows Explorer to the Windows 7 Music Library should be available when MB runs for the first time too;

2. or (preferably for me) Windows 7 Music Library should be accessible as a separate Library from the left panel Libraries node:

+ Libraries:
   - MusicBee -Libraries
          - MB Library no. 1;
          - MB Library no. 2;
   - Windows 7 Music Library

+Filters   
+ Playlists
+ Internet
+ Copmuter

2.1. the same solution should be applied to the Right-Click Send to menu:

Send to / Library/
  - MusicBee Library no. 1
  - MusicBee Library no. 2 ...
  - Windows 7 Music Library.

UPDATE:

Reduced the suggested enhancements to the two main variants of inclusion.

Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 07:23:24 AM by VX

Sarge

You mean from WMP ?    ugh

I say ugh because I can recall from MM, there being a problem with integrating with WMP. Art would get changed  etc. a bunch of probs I can recall. I haven't opened WMP ever since and I don't care to. 

VX

You mean from WMP ?  (...) I haven't opened WMP ever since and I don't care to. 

No. I haven't been using WMP since I have my first PC bought with Windows 98 preinstalled  ;D

I mean Windows 7 Libraries (do a Internet Search if you are not familiar with). In case you are interested in, here you go a short video file that shows them in action: watch.

In short
Libraries are the primary entry points to user data in Windows 7. They are the natural evolution from the user’s Known Folders, including those for documents, pictures, music, and videos.(...). A Windows 7 Library is a user-defined collection of content that represents the user’s data independently from the folder hierarchy. Users can unify and flatten the folder hierarchy by aggregating any number of physical locations (on their local machine or on remote machines) into a single view – which is the library. By including folders in Libraries, users tell Windows where their important data are located. In Windows 7 therefore, most applications should use a Library instead of the user’s Known Folders. It is important to note that as Libraries are an integral part of the Windows Shell, they play a greater role in the Windows 7 Explorer user experience.
Read more
Understanding Windows 7 Libraries
Creating new custom Library

This article could be helpful for Steven as it explains Windows 7 Libraries API (nice screenshots included  :))
Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 10:12:18 AM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
just FYI, there is already basic support for windows 7 libraries. You scan browse them from the computer section on the left navigator, and can be included in folder monitoring

VX

just FYI, there is already basic support for windows 7 libraries. You scan browse them from the computer section on the left navigator

Well, yes but I'd prefer to see the Music Library icon as a top node on the list instead of the Libraries folder. I guess few users would store their audio files in a Library other than Music. (Pictures, Video and Documents Libraries are not likely to contain the files MusicBee is designed to manage...).

and can be included in folder monitoring

Agree, but I'd rather expect it to be included by default in MB Library or at least I'll be given a choice when I run MB for the first time.

What about enhancing Send to right-click command with the function to add the chosen file or folder to the Windows 7 Library  ???