Author Topic: Warning Option for Manipulating a *User Input* Number of Files  (Read 1801 times)

The Incredible Boom Boom

After just screwing up over a thousand disc subtitles, not realizing it until many, many other changes later, and having to redo them, it would be nice to have an option of a warning box that lets the user know when they're about to edit over a certain number of files. If I had seen this ("Changes will be applied to over 999 tags... Proceed?")... I definitely would not have had to redo these edits.

phred

• Global Moderator
Obviously too late now, but whenever one is getting ready to make wholesale changes, the change should be tested on a couple of files first just to make sure the change is what is expected.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

The Incredible Boom Boom

Obviously too late now, but whenever one is getting ready to make wholesale changes, the change should be tested on a couple of files first just to make sure the change is what is expected.

The situation was that I was adding information to the <TSST> and <DISC COUNT> fields of (Custom Search -> DISC# has a value) albums. What happened is that I came across two discs from one album (box set) that had the same subtitle and after I clicked the first track on the first disc, I must have accidentally clicked off of it while scrolling down, because my subsequent SHIFT + click on the last track ended up including all of the discs that I had previously edited, instead of the just the two discs I wanted changed.

I normally do wholesome changes involving thousands of files in mp3tag and smaller ones (like album-by-album) in MusicBee. A pop-up warning would have prevented the accidental error. Alternatively, I have read past posts that state the Status Bar can be opened with a double click and I would have likely discovered the changes before they executed had I been able to, however, for my version (3.2something,) this doesn't seem to be the case. Was this ability removed?

sveakul

Alternatively, I have read past posts that state the Status Bar can be opened with a double click and I would have likely discovered the changes before they executed had I been able to, however, for my version (3.2something,) this doesn't seem to be the case. Was this ability removed?

You should update to the latest 3.3 version, and afterwards apply the patch linked to in phreds' sig.  Most current discussion on the Forum revolves around the newest release version, which has already addressed a multitude of issues from 3.2.

Bizy

+1 (in favour of OP)

This could be a confirmation box, to be set in Preferences/General/confirmations or Tags (2)/tag handling.  (Of course, as a choice, not a permanent feature.)

@The Incredible Boom Boom:  too late, indeed.  But just wondering:  have you thought about reversing the process?  (Edit/Undo)
That's another possibility, of course.  At least, when you immediately notice.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

The Incredible Boom Boom

Alternatively, I have read past posts that state the Status Bar can be opened with a double click and I would have likely discovered the changes before they executed had I been able to, however, for my version (3.2something,) this doesn't seem to be the case. Was this ability removed?

You should update to the latest 3.3 version, and afterwards apply the patch linked to in phreds' sig.  Most current discussion on the Forum revolves around the newest release version, which has already addressed a multitude of issues from 3.2.

Updated and patched, but still not getting the status bar on my primary computer after minimization, although it does perform properly on my laptop. Weird.

+1 (in favour of OP)

This could be a confirmation box, to be set in Preferences/General/confirmations or Tags (2)/tag handling.  (Of course, as a choice, not a permanent feature.)

@The Incredible Boom Boom:  too late, indeed.  But just wondering:  have you thought about reversing the process?  (Edit/Undo)
That's another possibility, of course.  At least, when you immediately notice.

When I do notice something immediately, I make use of "Undo," but at this point, I had already finished editing the rest of the disc subtitles and made some other edits that I would have forgotten to do, so the quickest course was to just redo the accidentally tagged ones manually. It didn't take nearly as long, as it helped that I remembered (for the most part) what was supposed to go where.