Author Topic: RESTORE playlist viewing in file browser window  (Read 5632 times)

Methosan

Hardly "professional" playing. Playing music at social dance happenings for dancers. At best getting travel expenses covered.

I think if I used/had ever used iTunes, Traktor's software might have been the ticket.. as it reads itunes database.. but otherwise I have not yet come across a player that does what I want it to do how I want it to do.  Of the dozens and dozens of players out there I have tried, free and not free, MB and MM are the best for my style of database/playlist playing.  MM is just clumsy and keeps rewriting my tags for some reason.  It has a so-so-functional preview plugin player but otherwise I dislike the feel of it.  MB is just lovely.

Here is how my screen looked last night.  Left column is browser to different harddrives and playlist folders and you can see the playlists displayed there.. something that went missing from 3.3 MB.  

I sent to foobar the file I was to preview. Managed to keep it all on one screen but 2 programs.

Methosan

The point of these recurring posts is to reduce the amount of hardware (2 computer or 2 displays) and number of programs needed. None of the dual deck players out there have what I want. MB 2.2 has everything I need except the preview or player within player (previewing a song in headset while another plays through main output).

As I tried to point out:  you don't need 2 computers nor (depending on the size of your display) 2 displays.  Only a second sound card.  So you can use MB 2.2 to play (if that version has everything you want) and another version of MB (portable) to listen with headphones.

Now, MB 3.3 is broken for me as it does not show M3U playlists in the file browser window. Until that is fixed I will continue to use 2.2.

Still do not totally get what this means... Are you saying that in version 2.2 you didn't have to import m3u playlists?  (when not created in MB)  And also that any changes (with another program) were immediately visible in MB (and the other way round, so automatically synchronising)?  And not anymore in later versions?  This is hard to imagine for me... But if it's just a matter of 'fixing', well, then, I guess... it's fixable... ;-)

b.

Ok I get what you are saying about 2 instances.. this is how I can run MM and MB at the same time.. or Foobar and MB. I always have an extrernal soundcard so I have 2 outputs.  But this is still 2 programs running.

Look at the 2 screen shots in the first post.  The white background is MB 3.3.. no files visible in the folder where you can see dozens of M3U files in the 2.2 version.  These are not imported playlists but playlists on hard drive.

hiccup

I sent to foobar the file I was to preview.

Kind-of on-topic (since this thread is still in wishlist) :
+1 for some preview/dual-output functionality within MusicBee.

Kind-of off-topic (only slightly) :
Have you considered reversing your workflow?
So foobar2000 would be the player that outputs to the main speakers/audience, and MusicBee gets purposed to previewing, browsing your library, and sending the tracks you want to play to foobar2000?

Two programs running at the same time here has some benefit. You'll only have to look at foobar2000's panel to see what your audience will be listening to (next).
And you can mess around with MB and it's library without worrying the audience will notice or that playback will be interupted.

Methosan

I sent to foobar the file I was to preview.

Kind-of on-topic (since this thread is still in wishlist) :
+1 for some preview/dual-output functionality within MusicBee.

Kind-of off-topic (only slightly) :
Have you considered reversing your workflow?
So foobar2000 would be the player that outputs to the main speakers/audience, and MusicBee gets purposed to previewing, browsing your library, and sending the tracks you want to play to foobar2000?

Two programs running at the same time here has some benefit. You'll only have to look at foobar2000's panel to see what your audience will be listening to (next).
And you can mess around with MB and it's library without worrying the audience will notice or that playback will be interupted.

When you send a file to Foobar it resets the playlist and starts from scartch with the file/files you send there.  You would need to drag the file(s) there to make it work like that.. but then you're again running out of space on the screen (if you want to make sure you drag the new files in the right place/spot).

Bizy

@Methosan: I think I get what you're saying (infered from the screenshots).

Yet, I'm wondering:  has it ever been possible to see a playlist without importing it to MB?
(I just did some tests:  no playlists/playlist tracks are visible (indeed), unless I import the playlists.)
Now, I wish I could some tests with MB2.2. If what you say, is right (let's assume it is ;-) ), that seems to be an interesting feature...)

b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

Methosan

@Methosan: I think I get what you're saying (infered from the screenshots).

Yet, I'm wondering:  has it ever been possible to see a playlist without importing it to MB?
(I just did some tests:  no playlists/playlist tracks are visible (indeed), unless I import the playlists.)
Now, I wish I could some tests with MB2.2. If what you say, is right (let's assume it is ;-) ), that seems to be an interesting feature...)

b.

I indeed use 2.3.5188 and this version and older versions I used display M3U files in folders. I can create a new one from any program into any folder and navigate into that folder with MB and will see that M3U file there. These are not imported playlists.

Bizy

I rest my case ;-)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I rest my case ;-)

Don't rest it just yet  ???

Why not see if you can get a copy of the v2.3.5188 and try it for yourself? (as I think your were implying such functionality would be cool for you too)  :-X

Jury is out...
Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:01:25 PM by Freddy Barker

hiccup

When you send a file to Foobar it resets the playlist and starts from scartch with the file/files you send there.

That's true.

I found that foobar2000 has some 'add' command line option, but I have no clue if/how that could be used in MusicBee's external application panel so that a 'send to' file is added to foobar's playlist instead of it being played immediately and having it removing the current list.
(I tried some variations of /add both under 'path' and 'parameters', but to no avail.)

Maybe a forum member with some better understanding of this matter has an idea?

You would need to drag the file(s) there to make it work like that.. but then you're again running out of space on the screen (if you want to make sure you drag the new files in the right place/spot).

If MusicBee was enhanced with some preview pane it would also take up screen space.
So having to drag/drop to a foobar2000 panel doesn't seem a very valid obstacle to me.
And—unless you had far too much caffeine or other paraphernalia—you wouldn't need to be dragging and dropping every few minutes would you?

Methosan

If MusicBee was enhanced with some preview pane it would also take up screen space.
So having to drag/drop to a foobar2000 panel doesn't seem a very valid obstacle to me.
And—unless you had far too much caffeine or other paraphernalia—you wouldn't need to be dragging and dropping every few minutes would you?

True, but it would take less space. It could fit on the bottom of the right column where you can have fit example lyrics...so 1/3 to 1/4 of screen width. A separate instance/program takes whole screen width plus its own menu rown from height.
Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 10:44:52 PM by psychoadept

Bizy

Hihi, Freddy.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Yet, I'm more than happy enough with MB as it is now... ;-)
b.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Hihi, Freddy.  Thanks for the encouragement.  Yet, I'm more than happy enough with MB as it is now... ;-)
b.

@Bizy
Happy is good, more than happy. - awesome!

Methosan

Still hoping that the .m3u file browsing feature from the 2.x-series would be returned to the 3.3-series so that I could also enjoy the newer addons and features out there ...