Author Topic: RESTORE playlist viewing in file browser window  (Read 5635 times)

Methosan

How I use Musicbee for my particular musical dance genre:

I gather songs into a playlist arranged for a specific artist.  Once I start to DJ I navigate to these various playlists via the file browser in MB 2.xxx. It shows all the M3U playlists in the folder.

But this feature has been removed at least from MB 3.3xx, meaning I can not upgrade to the latest version to take advantage all plugins and skins available.

Could this feature please be returned or is it a setting somewhere?

Bizy

Hello Methosan,

I recognize this 'problem'.  Many a time, I was puzzled:  why do the tracks of a playlist show up, why not?

The good news is:  this 'functionality' hasn't disappeared.
The 'bad' news is:  you'll have to 'experiment' a bit... (coz it's unclear to me how to intentionally reproduce the problem)

So, for instance:  (restart), create a new tab, click on 'Music' in Navigator, click on a playlist...

Hope you can work it out...

Greetz,
b.

PS:  I might have misinterpreted your problem (in function of my own experience).  Maybe you mean that the playlists do not show up anymore in the playlist folder?  Of course, that's another issue. (Normally, an update doesn't affect your playlists.) 
Please, be more specific.
Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 01:47:00 PM by Bizy
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

Methosan

I've included the screen shots from two different versions of MB that navigate to the same folder. Older version is showing the play lists in that folder (there are no actual music files in that folder).. The newer version does not show the play lists.

These are playlists that are on the computer as M3U's.. Exported playlists from MB. They're not music library playlists.

Bizy

O...  Okay.
How about File/Playlists/Import playlists?

Methosan

Not an option for as long as MB doesn't have a preview player option, which I've been hoping for for a long time. I need to be able to read the same M3U files with MediaMonkey.. So when I make a change to the playlist file with one, the other program sees the change. If the playlists are within the program it would not work.

Also, with hundreds of playlists I wish to save (one for each gig), I'd only like to have my core playlists in view at all times, and then I navigate to another folder for the gig playlists. This is how I have it now. Core in folder 1 and history in folder 2.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Also, with hundreds of playlists I wish to save (one for each gig), I'd only like to have my core playlists in view at all times, and then I navigate to another folder for the gig playlists. This is how I have it now. Core in folder 1 and history in folder 2.

https://www.mixxx.org/features

Any better?

Methosan

https://www.mixxx.org/features

Any better?

Mixxx has a nice preview feature that I've been referencing in the questions portion post in the forum.. But Mixxx doesn't have that third column for now playing music. I collect music into the now playing playlist that I want my player to automatically play. I move files as needed within that playlist.

During the night I browse to these various playlists I have created as source of music, and drag sets of music from them to the now playing playlist. At the end of the night I export the list for history to a different folder than the one containing the source music.

Last night I used the option to send a file to Foobar2000 and had split my screen so that foobar was along the top. It was a bit stressing though as I almost stopped the room music when instead I just wanted to stop the music coming from the headsets :/ ;)   But this was already an improvement to having to swap programs all the time. If I had dual screens at the gig then this would not an issue as you can drag files from MediaMonkey into the Musicbee playlist....
Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 04:47:08 PM by psychoadept

Steven

• Administrator
there is a simple track previewer plugin on the plugins page that might so some of what you want

Bizy

@Methosan

Well, this is interesting... I have the same 'issue' (missing a 'preview player' in MB, but I guess that's settled:  MB won't ever be a turntable...).

Whenever I use Mixxx, I use MB too:
- to search for music
- to create crates and playlists (simply drag and drop - that's possible, you know that?)

(So I would use crates for what you call 'core playlists' and export (from Mixxx)/import (to MB) for 'history playlists'.
But yes, I can see this is a bit cumbersome...)

b.

EDIT:  didn't know about the plugin Steven just mentioned...

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
there is a simple track previewer plugin on the plugins page that might so some of what you want

How about having a seperate PC running a second instance of MB portable for previewing tracks, playlist building and archiving.. and your main PC just running the show? Synching and/or backing up the playlists later...

Bizy

@Freddy:  no need to have a separate computer.  You can even run two instances of MB (fi one fully installed, and one portable) on the same computer.  If you have two soundcards, you can send MB (fi portable) to that soundcard, using Mixxx (or MB fully installed or...) for DJ'ing.

Methosan

The plugin Steven mentioned does not work for this issue. Not looking for full turntable features or two full blown players.. But a player within a player ;)

The point of these recurring posts is to reduce the amount of hardware (2 computer or 2 displays) and number of programs needed. None of the dual deck players out there have what I want. MB 2.2 has everything I need except the preview or player within player (previewing a song in headset while another plays through main output). Now, MB 3.3 is broken for me as it does not show M3U playlists in the file browser window. Until that is fixed I will continue to use 2.2.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
@Freddy:  no need to have a separate computer.  You can even run two instances of MB (fi one fully installed, and one portable) on the same computer.  If you have two soundcards, you can send MB (fi portable) to that soundcard, using Mixxx (or MB fully installed or...) for DJ'ing.

Thanks for that, not that I'm in the market for a bit of DJ-ing but good to know!
I do like to hang about near DJ's at weddings and such like, not so long ago a guy was running the show using Winamp and controlling things from the nearby bar with an Andriod Tab.
 Couldn't have been much fun back in the day with all those old beer "crates" full of LP's weighing a ton....

frankz

Mixxx has a nice preview feature that I've been referencing in the questions portion post in the forum.. But Mixxx doesn't have that third column for now playing music. I collect music into the now playing playlist that I want my player to automatically play. I move files as needed within that playlist.

During the night I browse to these various playlists I have created as source of music, and drag sets of music from them to the now playing playlist. At the end of the night I export the list for history to a different folder than the one containing the source music.

Last night I used the option to send a file to Foobar2000 and had split my screen so that foobar was along the top. It was a bit stressing though as I almost stopped the room music when instead I just wanted to stop the music coming from the headsets :/ ;)   But this was already an improvement to having to swap programs all the time. If I had dual screens at the gig then this would not an issue as you can drag files from MediaMonkey into the Musicbee playlist....

Steven would have to comment on the license specifically, but the FAQ says that "MusicBee is freeware for personal use."  This sounds like professional use.  Whether or not Steven is OK with you using the software for professional use is his call, but on a "wishlist" level I wouldn't be looking for professional type features in a freeware software package that clearly states it's for personal use.

Maybe if you're being paid to DJ paying for DJ software would be a less stressful solution?

Bizy

The point of these recurring posts is to reduce the amount of hardware (2 computer or 2 displays) and number of programs needed. None of the dual deck players out there have what I want. MB 2.2 has everything I need except the preview or player within player (previewing a song in headset while another plays through main output).

As I tried to point out:  you don't need 2 computers nor (depending on the size of your display) 2 displays.  Only a second sound card.  So you can use MB 2.2 to play (if that version has everything you want) and another version of MB (portable) to listen with headphones.

Now, MB 3.3 is broken for me as it does not show M3U playlists in the file browser window. Until that is fixed I will continue to use 2.2.

Still do not totally get what this means... Are you saying that in version 2.2 you didn't have to import m3u playlists?  (when not created in MB)  And also that any changes (with another program) were immediately visible in MB (and the other way round, so automatically synchronising)?  And not anymore in later versions?  This is hard to imagine for me... But if it's just a matter of 'fixing', well, then, I guess... it's fixable... ;-)

b.