Author Topic: Playlists linked to an artist?  (Read 735 times)

Hudec22

Best software ever! Importing my entire library over from iTunes- 10,000 plus albums- figure it will take me a year as I am a perfectionist and this program is great for people with OCD.

For me it’s all about the artist. I have customized it where I have artists on the left and albums on the main panel subgrouped into mixtapes, official, eps etc.

Is there a way that you can create a playlist that is linked to an album artist?

Example- you click on Beatles and you have 45 albums (some official, some mixtapes etc). You would like to make a best of playlist but you want to be able to access it going through the artist tab ? (If that makes sense). Almost on a new panel would be nice. So you can make a playlist of all your favorited Beatles song and then update it as the years go on. I know I could just make another playlist or an album, but I don’t want to double up the files. Hope that makes sense- I can screenshot and write a better example. I am just looking to see if this is possible as this program continues to amaze me!

Thank you so much.
Andrew

frankz

Yes. Auto playlists can do this. Criteria would be something like Artist is The Beatles / Rating is higher than 3 stars (or whatever tag you want to signify as noting a favorite).

If you want to access it on its own tab you can pin it I think.

Zak

• Global Moderator
...this program is great for people with OCD.
This program is also terrible for people with OCD. There's so many better things I should be doing with my time than arranging my soundtrack albums into different groups. :(

You would like to make a best of playlist but you want to be able to access it going through the artist tab ? (If that makes sense).
As I understand your question, it sounds like you want your favourite tracks to be displayed with their actual tagged album and also as part of a custom "Favourites" album.

You won't be able to do this. MusicBee is very configurable, but one thing it won't let you do is display a track more than once in any view. For the same reason, I can't think of any way this could be achieved with custom or virtual tags either, but other people may come up with a workaround.

Yes, you could just add your favourite tracks to a playlist, but it will only appear with other playlists, not under the Artists view or anywhere else.

It looks like ideas for version 3.4 are starting to get floated, so this may be a good time to form a posse and request official support for "virtual" albums which would allow for scenarios like this without having to resort to either duplicate files or dealing with .asx files. It would be a polite request, obviously - it's not that kind of posse.
Bee excellent to each other...

Hudec22

Hi FrankZ and Zak, thank you for your responses. Yes Zak, I think you re-explained my question further. Back in Itunes I would sometimes create a playlist for an artist - recopy the files to my desktop, re-add back to itunes and then re group them under a "Greatest Hits" album (thus having the files in 2 place).

I just installed this program for the first time a few nights ago. Each night after work I race home to see if I can get a few "hours" of tinkering in. I am still playing around with this program, and after I get a bit more knowledgeable about the program I will post something in the suggestions. Sometimes I get ideas and then realize after a weak that they are useless and nobody actually would want or need a feature like this- so I need to play around with it for another 20 hours or so :)

And I hear ya! For this program for people with OCD one can spend HOURS customization fonts to boarders and colors!
My new purchase is going to be a top of the line 13 inch SSD OLED laptop with only MusicBee installed :)

Thanks again for your explanation on some of the limits. That makes sense!

Cheers!