Author Topic: Can't save configuration settings on low-resolution displays  (Read 6740 times)

captain_paranoia

On low resolution displays (e.g. 1024x768), the plug-in configuration dialogue boxes don't fit on the screen, and, lacking a scroll bar, you can't easily accept the settings, as you can't get to the 'OK' button.

You can tab to the OK button, waiting for it to scroll round to the first setting, and then shift-tabbing back twice to get to the 'OK' button. But on some larger config dialogue boxes, some of the settings are unavailable.

Am I missing something, or should I put this in as a feature request?
Last Edit: October 03, 2019, 03:46:04 PM by captain_paranoia

captain_paranoia

No-one else having this problem?

MB 3.3.7115
Win 7 Pro (all-in-one PC)
Win 8.1 (tablet)

captain_paranoia

Having recently bought a little secondhand netbook to run MB, with a 1024x600 pixel display, I can't even configure the panel settings, because the Apply/Save/Cancel buttons are off the screen, and not just in the plug-ins. Hence the modified thread title.

I couldn't find a 'minimum system requirements' spec on the MB home page, that might make me expect that my low resolution display devices simply aren't suitable for running MB (which would be a shame, as they're otherwise perfectly capable, and only use a few percent CPU running MB).

Problem still present in latest Portable install 3.3.7165

hiccup

Perhaps when you—briefly—switch the display to portrait mode you can apply changed settings?

captain_paranoia

No portrait mode on desktop...

Some means to scroll within the config window seems to be required.

Zak

• Global Moderator
Very much a workaround and not offered as a solution, but you could try using Alt+Ctrl and the arrow keys to rotate the screen 90 degrees.
That might give you enough pixels to click the buttons you require to configure things.
If nothing else it will exercise your neck.
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

Very much a workaround and not offered as a solution, but you could try using Alt+Ctrl and the arrow keys to rotate the screen 90 degrees.
That might give you enough pixels to click the buttons you require to configure things.

That's exactly what I suggested two posts earlier.
But the OP replied that he has no portrait mode available on that laptop.

@captain_paranoia, perhaps try and find 3d party display software that can do that?

Zak

• Global Moderator
That's exactly what I suggested two posts earlier.

Sorry, I thought you meant just physically rotating the screen and hoping it will rotate by itself. Not a tablet user so I didn't know it was called "portrait mode".
fwiw, the keyboard shortcut works on my desktop PCs just fine, so it's possible OP may not have realised what you meant either.

-edit-
CP, as you've said it's a portable install you could try setting it up on a regular sized monitor first, assuming you have access to one, and then copying the whole program onto your laptop/tablet.

Would depend on what exactly you need to configure I guess.
Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 10:08:15 AM by Zak
Bee excellent to each other...

hiccup

Perhaps I could have been slightly clearer.

CP, as you've said it's a portable install you could try setting it up on a regular sized monitor first, assuming you have access to one, and then copying the whole program onto your laptop/tablet.

That's a clever alternative solution.

captain_paranoia

If I'm going to do workarounds, I'll just edit the config file...

I'm trying to guage whether anyone else has this problem (or can reproduce it), before submitting a bug report. I can reproduce it on two devices, so I'm pretty sure it's a genuine problem, and not just something I'm doing stupid. That the latter cannot be ruled out...

My gut feel is that it wouldn't be a particularly difficult fix; probably modifying the parameters of the pop-up window to allow scrolling.

captain_paranoia

ps. Thanks for responding; I thought it unusual to get no replies at all to this enquiry.

Steven

• Administrator
Its not a bug. Scrolling support for input panels too big for small screens is not something that is implemented.
I will either update the minimum specs page or look to implement if its not too much. Also a simpler thing to implement would be a hotkey to invoke the save button

captain_paranoia

Thanks, Steven. Maybe it ought to be a 'feature request', rather than a bug report, since it's fairly clear that there isn't any scrolling.

It would be nice if you could find a way to support smaller viewport devices, as they make a nice way to provide a truly mobile music library; I bought the little netbook for £17, and the tablet that started this query for £25... They both run MB beautifully, apart from the config problem.

neworleans

I also can't see whole library statistics window on 1280x720p resolution.

Steven

• Administrator
For v3.4 i have implemented basic scroll support for the main preferences panel. If you want to try it out let me know (I would appreciate it to confirm it works).
I will look to implement the same for some of the other larger panels depending on the difficulty involved