Author Topic: Ability to Lock Sidebar Width  (Read 4678 times)

zkhcohen

Almost every time I restart or update MusicBee, there are subtle differences in the width of the left and right sidebars.

As with other elements, I'd like to lock them down to a specified size.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
+1

I haven't tracked down the cause, but even without resizing or switching monitors sometimes mine end up minimized. (It may be a ghost resizing related to my external monitor?)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
Almost every time I restart or update MusicBee, there are subtle differences in the width of the left and right sidebars.
is it continuously getting bigger/ getting smaller/ random?
Are you running normal windows size and changing to maximised and vice-versa?

zkhcohen

is it continuously getting bigger/ getting smaller/ random?
Are you running normal windows size and changing to maximised and vice-versa?

It tends to get smaller (especially the left sidebar which only contains the navigator and thumbnail browser stacked). Perhaps the stacking has something to do with it?

I have to backup what Psychoadept said -- I can't trace it back to a particular behavior. I'm not resizing or maximizing the window.

I keep MusicBee 'floating' (not maximized) consistently.

That's why I'm hoping that locking it to a specific pixel-width would be a feasible wishlist item. Otherwise, I can create a bug report.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I keep it maximized, but otherwise ditto. I'd be fine with the overall minimum size being larger if it means I can set the sidebar width and never have to fiddle with it again.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator
can you both send me a link to your settings file?

Steven

• Administrator
According to your settings file, you are using a custom view for the playlists tab "Playlist layout"
I dont have that view, but i expect what is going on is each custom view maintains a distinct layout including panel sizes ie. the width will differ to the view used on other tabs and wont be kept in sync if you change the width for one tab

zkhcohen

According to your settings file, you are using a custom view for the playlists tab "Playlist layout"
I dont have that view, but i expect what is going on is each custom view maintains a distinct layout including panel sizes ie. the width will differ to the view used on other tabs and wont be kept in sync if you change the width for one tab

Actually, the resizing happens regardless of whether I've switched tabs. I'm also not adjusting the width of the sidebar on other tabs. Additionally, I haven't adjusted the sidebars in another location while sharing the same custom view.

I could export my settings file the next time it happens and you could compare them. I won't manually adjust the settings (widths) until it happens and I capture the new file.

Steven

• Administrator
can you send me the playlist layout file? its in the appdata/Saved Settings/Views sub-folder

Steven

• Administrator
i didnt give you the right path - its:
AppData\Saved Settings\Layouts\Playlist Layout.tab-layout

Steven

• Administrator
trying this now i cant reproduce any issues ie. the sidebar width is staying constant.
If you can figure out some steps to reproduce this then please let me know

Steven

• Administrator
if you guys can easily reproduce this then i can create a debug version that logs when the width is being set

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've never caught it in the act, so to speak, but it does happen fairly regularly if I'm using MusicBee consistently for a length of time. (You said something about tabs and layouts, which definitely could be a factor. I consistently have two pinned tabs in use, and sometimes a third if I do a search from the locked tab.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)