Author Topic: auto-organise naming templates: what is convenient for filesharing?  (Read 1816 times)

Eis-T

Hi everyone! I may or may not share a respectably large music collection on sl sk. I use the powerful auto-organize from musicbee to do this. This works really well (no manual dragging and dropping into folders required, just make sure the files are tagged correctly in mp3tag and then import into library.)
The downside is that with the current settings (<Album Artist>\<Album>\<Disc-Track#> <Title>) it becomes unwieldy to browse through for other people. there are for example plenty of folders with just one track in them. I already have most of my compilations now set to various artists so they don't scatter anymore but still: what syntax would be most convenient?

tl;dr: as a (hypothetical) user of a filesharing platform, what folder structure would make most sense to you? & how do I stop those single tracks from creating their own folders?

Eis-T

or to pose the question in a more neutral way: what syntax works well for you to keep the amount of folders to a minimum whilst maintaining a well-ordered, browsable collection?

Zak

• Global Moderator
how do I stop those single tracks from creating their own folders?
You could use the $IF function in your naming template and set a different path if <Album Track Count> is below a certain number.

And probably don't share your music with other people.
Bee excellent to each other...

Eis-T

Thanks! I'll see if I can think up a custom setting/formula with that tag! I've found a tutorial here on the forum that looks very helpful. still I wouldn't mind to copy/paste a formula from someone else that works well.

About filesharing: a reasonably large part of my collection is Vaporwave, a genre that of music where everything is basically given away for free on bandcamp and soundcloud so I don't feel too bad about sharing those particular works with fellow music lovers, as none of it was distributed within the music industry to begin with (and given the plunderphonic nature of most of the works, it would never be viable for commercial distribution anyways).

Eis-T

I thought it'd be nice to come back and post my solution to the problem. This is the formula I'm currently using, and its working reasonably well!

Code
$IsNull(<Album Artist>,<Artist>,<Album Artist>)\$If(<Album Track Count><3,,$IsNull(<Year (yyyy)>,,<Year (yyyy)>)" - "<Album>)\$IsNull(<Disc-Track#>,," "<Disc-Track#>" ")<Title>

Hope this helps someone in the future!