Author Topic: How do I refresh the library  (Read 9632 times)

gobshite

I found some files were in the wrong place so I moved them on the computer but musicbee is still looking in the wrong place for him how do I refresh that

frankz

Did you move them within MusicBee?  That's the correct way.

If not, you have to let MB know where they are by "finding" them under Tools->Locate Missing Files.

gobshite

There were quite a few folders that I had to arrange in Windows so is there no way to refresh the library or do I just delete it and start over

frankz

If you moved them in a way that was consistent (i.e. BaseFolder1 -> BaseFolder2 with the structure under that staying the same), then you can remap them under File->Library->Relink Music File Paths mapping BaseFolder1 to BaseFolder2.

If not, you really should have moved them using the program.  How did you expect the program to know where they were after you moved them?

gobshite

Well it could detect folder changes on the fly and not maintain a library like Google music does but I guess the answer in this case is to delete the library file and create new one

frankz

If you do it with MB open, I think it actually does detect the folder changes.  I remember seeing something about that. 

If you don't have a lot of play history or haven't created a bunch of playlists that you'd worry about losing, yes, recreating the library from scratch is probably the way to go.

If you have data built up in the library that you don't want to lose, your options are to move the files back to where they started and move them the right way, to use the "Relink" utility to remap them in bulk (you can do this multiple times with multiple folders if there are just a handful) or to use the Tools->Locate Missing Files utility.

not maintain a library like Google music does
MusicBee is a library manager. It's going to maintain a library.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
If it's only part of your library, i would just remove the missing tracks and scan the new location to add them back.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Zak

• Global Moderator
Well it could detect folder changes on the fly and not maintain a library like Google music does but I guess the answer in this case is to delete the library file and create new one
It should do this if you have Preferences > Library options set to continuously monitor the folder containing your music files. The option on startup check for updating or missing files also does exactly that.

Failing that - if you don't have monitored folders - you could use File > Scan Folder for New Files and select the new folders, or even just drag the folders from Windows File Explorer into the MusicBee library window. There's lots of ways to get your music into MusicBee.  :)
Bee excellent to each other...