Author Topic: Revert Display Settings from Newest Update  (Read 1597 times)

tmichael

Hi all, I've run into two display changes that cross-cut whatever skin I opt for that I do not like very much and am wondering how to undo these changes, which I assume have come from an automatic update.

The first is the issue of the selection border now extending down from the top of album artwork to the artist field under the album in Artwork view. I really don't like how this looks, and since it follows the width of the top border, vertically oriented cassette releases have the selection border cutting through text in a particularly ugly way.

The latter is that for albums with various artists, the artist field has moved from a readable position below the track name into brackets after the track name. I don't want to have to open files to quickly read the artist name, and I would also like to revert this change.

Love the app and really appreciate the variety of ways I can customize it, but would really like some help changing these two aesthetic changes, because I'm stumped on where to even find settings for these things in preferences. Thanks!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Are you using the Windows Store version?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

tmichael

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Are you using the Windows Store version?

I believe I downloaded and installed from the website. It's version 3.3.7115. When I look it up in Cortana, it labels it an App. I downloaded the full download of the latest patch of Musicbee from this thread to check it against my current set up, and it had the same display problems.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Oh, I see. You mentioned an automatic update and the only way i could think of for that to happen would be the windows store version. But it sounds like you manually updated?

In any case, your first image looks to me like the way it's always been. I'm not sure i see what you mean about cutting off text? But you could try changing it to put the fields on to of the artwork, in Customize Panel Settings to see if that helps
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

tmichael

I haven't opened Musicbee in maybe a week, but last time I opened it, the selection border you see there snapped to the edges of the picture and did not extend downwards. The following screenshot shows the issue with text overlap, though it's my general aesthetic preference anyway that the border be around the album artwork only.

I appreciate your suggestion about changing fields, but I've gone through the Customize Panel Settings for Artwork display several times to try to address these issues. From what I can see, there's no way to specify an album artwork field in any dropdown menu, if that's what you're thinking. I also am unable to identify anywhere where this selection border gets set up. I would really appreciate it if there was some way to just do "selection border settings" or something of the kind. Previous inquiries to this forum that I can find on Google seem to suggest it's part of the .xlm or .xlmc file for skins, but I have this problem across all skins, both those included in the app and those I downloaded from this forum for testing. I remember back when I first downloaded Musicbee probably around 2013 or 2014, you could deselect albums by ctrl+clicking a selected album. That feature has been gone for a long time, and I've learned to tolerate the lingering highlight, but it is quite the eyesore now that the border dips down the way it does. Maybe we can just shift gears to a fix like that. Does anyone here know how to merely deselect an album without having to refresh the library?

Further, the artist display issue is difficult to solve. Do I need to go figure out how to make a custom variable for it? Because if I choose to display "Artist" under "Title" in settings, it displays artist for ALL releases, even releases where every track has the same artist. Just one week ago, Musicbee was able to identify when I needed that artist display and when not, and it does it now as evidenced by the fact it's putting artist names in brackets on v/a releases. How do I just move the content of the brackets back to where they were a week ago instead of having them display the way they are now? Am I just missing the appropriate variable in this menu (noted by arrow below)?

Steven

• Administrator
The artwork selector overlapping the text is fixed now in the v3.3 patch.
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee files

however you cant change how it displays so your best bet might be to revert to v3.2

tmichael

however you cant change how it displays so your best bet might be to revert to v3.2

is there a way to do this without basically doing a fresh install? and if i do have to do a fresh install, how do i go about making a backup of my custom tags that have been saved to the musicbee database that i can then import on a fresh 3.2 install?

installed 3.2 and was able to import my preferences from my old install. thanks for your help!
Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 10:29:19 PM by tmichael

DreamingLemon

you cant change how it displays so your best bet might be to revert to v3.2

Hi Steven and thx for the hard work. Is this change definitive and thus we will have to stay outdated forever with 3.2 ? I have a lot of "various artists" album and it's indeed less readable in this way :/

Steven

• Administrator
you cant change how it displays so your best bet might be to revert to v3.2

Hi Steven and thx for the hard work. Is this change definitive and thus we will have to stay outdated forever with 3.2 ? I have a lot of "various artists" album and it's indeed less readable in this way :/
yes its a definitive change

edit:
You can always just add Artist as a displayed field in the expanded panel settings so artist will be displayed on the second line. Thats already supported.
However this patch version will only show Artist in compilations
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee files
Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:50:42 PM by Steven