Author Topic: In multiple track selections identical fields show as MIXED  (Read 3615 times)

WimYogya

After some forum discussion about uploading screenshots and .zip music files I have chosen the option that seems most favorable for me: share a link on my google drive. One contributor said he would not want to share his personal details through such transfer, but so far I did not see any private information popup when someone clicks my following link - please inform me if I overlook a privacy issue:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16l0RrQrP8YNDdlamNALqD9N__ygiK7FG?usp=sharing

The link gives you access to 10 zipped tracks of opera Emilia di Liverpool and 4 screenshots with numbers referring to the comments later in this post.

As it seems quite an unusual and complicated issue, first see my initial post from July 5. A recap here:

My customized fields PERFORMERS (and others) show greyed MIXED upon multiple selections - also if the content is NOT mixed, but exactly the same for all individual tracks.

I use the tab tag2 for customized fields for classical music.
Separate fields for vocalists, instrumentalists, choir, orchestra, conductor.
In the end I create (with ASR) a combination 'export' field PERFORMERS where all previous interpreters come together.

Since some time there is a strange error in those fields.
If I have (example) an opera with 25 tracks and I fill in ALL 25 track fields with the same info and then 'export' all of them to PERFORMERS, the performers field does NOT show the identical content for all interpreters, but says MIXED - which is incorrect because ALL are the same.
This happens with the individual fields as well (vocalists, instrumentalists etc).

That makes multiple checking/editing very complicated, because you can not SEE any details in the field. Must open 1 by 1, change, copy to the 24 other tracks if necessary 1 by 1.

I hope Pingaware who showed willingness to check my related tags with Tag Inspector can do what he planned to do, with the items in the google link and my related screen shot comments below:

COMMENTS

COMMENTS SCREENSHOT 1
The screen shows a number of tracks by Gaetano Donizetti, to explain the problems I focused on soprano Yvonne Kenny
1. The opera has 40 tracks
2. But in the PERFORMERS BOX it shows that Yvonne Kenny has 360 occurrences. By a mysterious procedure the names of all performers have been repeated and listed 9x40 = 360 times.
It also shows that Yvonne Kenny is not separated from alto Anne Mason, because a colon : is used in stead of a separating semicolon ;
3. In the PERFORMERS column in the main panel you can see that as well. The first : is ok, Kenny's role Emilia is indicated there. But the : after Emilia, without a space before and after the : is an error. Originally this was a normal semicolon. In some cases it still IS, but often not.
4. The columns for VOCALS MAIN, VOCALS MORE, INSTRUMENTALS, CHOIR, ORCHESTRA, CONDUCTOR should contain the names of the individual artists. I typed them there and with ASR and PERFORMERS-virtual I created the 'export/merge field' PERFORMERS. It worked well for several years.
5. With the tag inspector I noticed that all these individual names are now (erroneously?) listed under an unknown label MEDIA TYPE TMED. See 7 below as well.

COMMENTS SCREENSHOT 2
6. is missing, my mistake, sorry
7. The tag inspector shows that the 'missing individual artists' are separately also displayed in an unknown field TEMPORARY TXXX/TEMPORARY. No clue how come, what it means, if I can still use this display to 'move' all names to the proper fields.
8. Another example of the 'combined artists. The : between Orchestra without spaces makes Orchestra-and-David-Parry ONE performer
9. And as before the individual names are NOT displayed in their Tags (2) fields. And that is the location where I typed or copy/pasted ALL those individual artists . Only the merged result is shown, under PERFORMERS.
10. The PERFORMERS-VIRTUAL column is empty because in 9 no names are entered. Normally any name entered in 9 will show up in 10 and then be displayed in the PERFORMERS column to the right of 10.

COMMENTS SCREENSHOT 3
11. A popup window showing that all names in PERFORMERS field have been multiplied/repeated 9x.

COMMENTS SCREENSHOT 4
In this screenshot I selected MULTIPLE tracks of the opera. This is the result:
12. This box shows that all individual entries are identical.
13. But this box sees them as MIXED - which is incorrect and inefficient. If I want to see the content, I need to select just ONE track, copy the content, go to another track, past the content in an empty box to compare it with the performers field. And so on. If I want to retype all individual artists in their respective VOCALS, INSTRUMENTALS, CHOIR etc boxes this is very time consuming. There must be an easier way if the PERFORMERS field shows the correct identical content.

Overall this idea came up into my mind:
Could the cause of the trouble be in one or more crashes, caused by local power blackouts?
Resulting in 'damaged' or confused tagging?
I have no idea...

Thanks, Pingaware, for your attention.
Other suggestions are welcome too.

Wim
Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 12:27:16 PM by WimYogya
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
If I have (example) an opera with 25 tracks and I fill in ALL 25 track fields with the same info and then 'export' all of them to PERFORMERS, the performers field does NOT show the identical content for all interpreters, but says MIXED - which is incorrect because ALL are the same.
This happens with the individual fields as well (vocalists, instrumentalists etc).

You appear to have invested a lot of time and effort in trying to fix your problem.
Just checking that you're aware, that if you have, for example, two tracks from the Album called (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

...and if one of them has the Album tagged -  even with the most subtle difference, then, if you highlight BOTH of them to EDIT, then the Album name will display MIXED.

I't easy to enter the Album name and miss the apostrophe between t and s, the ? or one of the ( )'s....

Just a thought, and maybe something simple worth checking, as I'm almost as aged as yourself, thus have made the same mistake myself in the past.

Yes, even it you COPY and PASTE the tag name, you COULD potentially have a SPACE in one of the tags, and not notice, but thinking the are the SAME.

Your 'Perfomer' tagged name in your Screenshot "musicbee performers 4.jpg" - looks horrendously long and just ripe for an error...

Freddy

WimYogya

Hello Freddy,

No, i am 100% sure that typo's are not the cause of the trouble. Because:
1. The same content was NOT marked as MIXED in the past.
2. It must have happened after an MB update related to customized tags in the Tags(2) tab.
3. If you look up the same 25 opera tracks in the main panel, you will see that all the displayed performers are identical. There ARE problems but  that is not about spelling differences. Only if you select multiple ones, the PERFORMERS field says MIXED.
4. Apart from the erroneous MIXED label in PERFORMERS the fields where I typed individual vocalists, instrumentalists etc are not totally empty.

And the strange overlengthy content is the result of a mysterious multiplication feature that displays each of the performers 9 times - which gives a total result of 9x40 occurences in the whole album. Strange...
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I took a look at the files you provided, and can confirm that there's some odd behavior. I don't have all the same custom fields configured, but do have TIPL, and even after I selected the (only available) value, removed the duplicates and saved ALL files at once, it comes back as MIXED.

Update: I think the issue is something to do with how MB handles TIPL and TMCL tags. Not sure WHAT, exactly, but no matter how I fiddle with the formatting and multiple values, it keeps coming back Mixed. I can take the exact same contents and put them in a different tag, and they're fine.

(p.s. The TIPL and TMCL fields expect the tag to be formatted as role:performer with NO space. The formatting was getting messed up when I saved it, and I finally figured out it was because of the space after the colon. But that's not what's causing the main problem.)
Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:47:24 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

WimYogya

Hi Psych,

Thanks again for your always kind attention and cooperation.
I have no clue what TIPL and TMCL fields are. Searching I only found Tractors India Private Limited - but that's most likely not what you meant.
In the past anyhow they did NOT expect the formatted tag performer:role with no space. But space-semicolon-space.
How can this issue be addressed?

And about the other 'empty artists fields: the (all?) information IS still stored in the MEDIA TYPE TMED and the TEMPORARY TXXX/TEMPORARY field. Would there be any option to move/copy the content from there to the original customised fields where I typed it?

I fear I am seriously lost...
Thanks for any suggestion...

Wim
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
TIPL and TMCL are both ID3v2.4 frames, Involved People List and Musician Credit List: http://id3.org/id3v2.4.0-frames. As implemented in MusicBee, they use the role:artist format (sorry, had it backwards at first), which follows the specification that odd numbered entries are roles/instruments and even numbered entries are the artists.

You definitely have values in TIPL or they wouldn't have shown up for me. Just take a look with the tag inspector under Involved People List. I think your best solution for now is to use some other field.

Here's an example of how TIPL and TMCL look in Tag Inspector:

Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 06:41:42 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Steven

• Administrator

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
That got it for me. Thanks!
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)