Author Topic: About searching Library.  (Read 4378 times)

mysteryc

Can't there be additional option to search entire Folder including its sub folders too. This thing is too buggy. There is only the option to search specific folder main root only files and entire created library and not the folder's subfolders entirely. I have reported about this lacking features and potentially bug for several months. Isn't it should be so easy to put this feature like Windows explorer search where it search files and folders entirely of that selected folder

Bizy

I don't see how this is a bug or a feature lacking...

1) Left panel: navigator: (right click on a folder) Manage Folders/Include files from subfolders
2) Choose a folder with subfolders
3) Search:  local node only

In that case you search the particular folder and its subfolders.

b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, I've never understood how this is not available with current functionality. If you still think it's not, you're going to have to provide a lot more detail on what you want vs what's happening. Better include screenshots.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
I am not sure exactly which search dialog you guys are referring to. Can you be more specific or post a screenshot?

mysteryc

I don't see how this is a bug or a feature lacking...

1) Left panel: navigator: (right click on a folder) Manage Folders/Include files from subfolders
2) Choose a folder with subfolders
3) Search:  local node only

In that case you search the particular folder and its subfolders.

b.

I do understand that method too. But, with that method files from entire folders gets messed up on track list of selected folder. I just wanted an option in search section for Entire Folder like Local Node Only option so that I could see files from specific selected folder(from navigator tree list) only while at the same time while searching files I could see all the files of its sub folders too if similar search term match is found in sub folders.

Yeah, I've never understood how this is not available with current functionality. If you still think it's not, you're going to have to provide a lot more detail on what you want vs what's happening. Better include screenshots.
As explained above.

I am not sure exactly which search dialog you guys are referring to. Can you be more specific or post a screenshot?
I hope explaination above will help :)

Steven

• Administrator

Bizy

with that method files from entire folders gets messed up on track list of selected folde
Doesn't that depend on the way you order your songs in the main panel?

I just wanted an option in search section for Entire Folder like Local Node Only option so that I could see files from specific selected folder(from navigator tree list) only while at the same time while searching files I could see all the files of its sub folders too if similar search term match is found in sub folders.
I might (!) understand what you mean, yet I guess this option is not available right now.  Then, what I proposed is a 'workaround' - but you seem to reject it.  So I guess this is a wishlist item for you.

(@Steven:  I'm talking about the search box in the header bar. The one that says 'entire library' or 'local node'.  And I assume mysteryc is too.)

Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

mysteryc

I hope explaination above will help :)
no it doesnt help me at all

Here are the images. I have used two folders named 'Main Folder' & 'Sub Folder' with different musics in each of them and used search method of MusicBee and Windows File Explorer.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1G1vGeJJEisHdMj08_ubVXEkSnE1gX5gj

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Doesn’t your screenshot #6 show the exact same result as windows explorer?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

mysteryc

Doesn’t your screenshot #6 show the exact same result as windows explorer?

Yes it does show. But, now with Include Sub Folders ON, files are cluttered. In example shown there are very less music so it might not be much of the issue. But, with main folder containing so many music and also in sub folders too then music list(without search) looks so cluttered. In Windows File Explorer it is so neat that SubFolder and its main root music is only shown while opening Main Folder but after searching some term it searches entire folder(Main folder and its sub folders).
So, turning on Sub Folder Inclusion on Music Bee just for entire folder search is just a mess as there will be all music files just cluttered while scrolling music only. It might help in search but for just regular scrolling it is a mess.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Oh, I think I see what you're getting at. You want to search the subfolders without seeing the subfolders.

I don't know, I feel like this is a pretty uncommon use case. The Computer node isn't meant to be a replacement for Windows Explorer.  If you're doing that much searching, you should probably be using the library, instead.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

mysteryc

Oh, I think I see what you're getting at. You want to search the subfolders without seeing the subfolders.

I don't know, I feel like this is a pretty uncommon use case. The Computer node isn't meant to be a replacement for Windows Explorer.  If you're doing that much searching, you should probably be using the library, instead.

Isn't library just a collection of files for listening rather that searching and playing files directly from folders either by looking at left navigation tree or by directly searching. That method is a bit more messed up than Include Subfolder ON search method.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Isn't library just a collection of files for listening rather than searching and playing files directly from folders either by looking at left navigation tree or by directly searching. That method is a bit more messed up than Include Subfolder ON search method.

The library is for listening, searching, organizing, and just about anything else you can do with your files.  It operates completely independently of files' location on the drive, and you can use features like the column browser, thumbnail browser, or library explorer to filter the contents however works best for you. MusicBee CAN search and play files from folders, but that's not how it's intended to do most of its tasks.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

mysteryc

Isn't library just a collection of files for listening rather than searching and playing files directly from folders either by looking at left navigation tree or by directly searching. That method is a bit more messed up than Include Subfolder ON search method.

The library is for listening, searching, organizing, and just about anything else you can do with your files.  It operates completely independently of files' location on the drive, and you can use features like the column browser, thumbnail browser, or library explorer to filter the contents however works best for you. MusicBee CAN search and play files from folders, but that's not how it's intended to do most of its tasks.

I don't know why such simple feature was very difficult to implement at the first place. And is there any video that explains library stuffs clearly? Upto now, to my understanding Library is just a massive folder that seraches music from different folders and accumulate, that's it. I don't know how organization can be done with such massive collection folder so called Library.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Have you looked at the wiki yet?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)