Author Topic: Some downloaded podcasts episodes are not synced to the correct folder  (Read 2259 times)

klint

Hi Steven

This is an old problem I'm facing, maybe I already have reported it, but I can't find where...

Several of my podcast subscriptions are delivering podcast files that do not bear the "Podcast" genre (the Genre field is used to defined which kind of podcast, like News, Culture, whatever).
In MB catalog itself, these downloaded files are handled as podcast episodes, as expected.

Yet, when it comes to syncing to the phone, likely because of their Genre, these files are treated like non-podcast tracks and are sent to the Music folder instead of the Podcast folder on the device.
The trouble then is that the music app on the phone will consider them as... music, not as podcasts.

I agree that it is in the grey zone between bug and expected behaviour (as the Genre is not set correctly), but it would be quite handy if these files were treated like podcasts consistently all over MusicBee, including during syncing itself.

Thank you :)
Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 09:52:49 PM by klint

Steven

• Administrator
I dont see what genre has to do with anything unless its part of your podcast naming template in the device settings.
Any track that is visible in the Podcasts tab in MusicBee should be synched to the folder that you define in the device settings for "podcast files".
Files not in the Podcasts tab will be sent to the music or audiobooks folder as appropriate

klint

Thanks, and yes, you are right, I have checked further and the criteria that defines the target folder is not the Genre field.
Yet, the problem remains that some of my podcasts episodes are synced to Music folder, other to Podcasts folder, and this happens within the same podcast subscription.
I will search deeper to try to find out the differences between those episodes.
Stay tuned ;)

Steven

• Administrator

klint

Actually all of them are in playlists.
I do not sync podcasts subscriptions, but only auto playlists based on manual playlists containing downloaded podcasts episodes.
I will check tomorrow, but I don't think there is any difference here, all episodes are in the same auto playlist but they end up in 2 different folders on the phone.

klint

Hi Steven
Based on your first response, I have figured out the root cause.
For whatever reason in the past, many of the downloaded episodes are not related to their original subscriptions (those episodes do no appear anywhere in the Podcast tree. Therefore they are not sync to the podcast folder.

Just one last question: is there a way to list all those podcast episodes that are orphan from their subscriptions, via the autoplaylist for instance ? so that I can manually drag them back to a subscription?

THanks

Steven

• Administrator
Not specifically. You might be able to figure out some filter condition to apply

klint

I'm coming back to this issue with a solution, for the sake of documentation :)

I have just dragged and dropped all "orphan" podcast episodes from the playlist where there were residing to the Podcast node: then, all the episodes have been related to their respective subscriptions, magically.

Thanks!