Author Topic: Rip CD with metadata from disc  (Read 3385 times)

Tovino77

I'm ripping my CDs and WMP is taking forever. Musicbee is much faster, but it's not pulling any metadata from the disc, while also requiring me to pick what album I have from a list to download it from the internet.

Every CD I've seen has composer and contributing artist information, which the majority of online databases do not. I like this information, where conversely I couldn't really give a rats ass about what label it was under, what medium, or even what release country.

This makes the process a lot less automatic. In WMP I can pop in a disc, have it automatically rip, get the metadata, and eject. Repeat. Musicbee requires manual input and still skips out on the information I actually want. I can toss the files in MB Picard and get that data more easily and quicker than doing it this way since I can do that in large batches.

It forces itself to either automatically add the rips to the library, or to the inbox... whatever that is. I don't want either of those options since I'm ripping the CD's to my desktop to transfer over to a PLEX server when it's all finished.

Musicbee also only allows for adding a composer to the entire album, rather than single tracks. This doesn't really work when it comes to compilation albums or guest appearances.
Musicbee is a LOT quicker at ripping songs to the point where it probably would be best to then manually enter in the information I actually want, but it's certainly less than ideal. Is there any solution to these issues?

At this point I have WMP and Musicbee open on separate monitors and rip with Musicbee when the information is correct or there's only 1 composer.

captain_paranoia

There's no metadata on a standard, Red Book CD.

WMP is getting metadata from an online source. Find out what that is, and tell MB to use it.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yes, WMP is probably getting its info from a paid source like Gracenote or CDDB. You mentioned that Picard works ok for you, so I suggest picking minimally correct album/artist tags when ripping, and set up Picard as an external tool in MusicBee so you can quickly send new rips to it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)