Author Topic: complete ignoring of the word "the "  (Read 2082 times)

elixir

the app is easily the best music app for PC (that ive used). now having said this, why is the library programmed to ignore "the" when it's the first word in the title of a song, the name of an album, the name of an artist etc. the weeknd then becomes weeknd, the notorious big becomes notorious big etc... i feel it's wrong and the format should be after the original names and titles of songs. i tried to edit how it should be sorted but there's no difference..  please can you look into this on the next update

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

It's standard in English title sorting to ignore articles like The and A/An.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_articles#Effect_on_alphabetical_order

However, if you want to force it to use the article, you could apply a custom sort tag and sort by that.
Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:24:15 AM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

elixir

it actually shows the articles as the full name but it's still arranged like the article isn't there

like to get the weekend, it shows as the weeknd but you have to scroll to W and not T

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You'll need to go to the Sorting tab in the Tag Editor and manually enter it the way you want it to be sorted. If you want it to be applied in the column browser and so on, also check the "enable custom sorting" box at the top.

The good news is with custom sorting enabled, you should only have to enter the change once for each artist/album.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

This sounds strange to me?
Have you unchecked 'ignore words...' under Preferences > Sorting/Grouping?
I have it unchecked and don't experience such behaviour anywhere in MusicBee?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This sounds strange to me?
Have you unchecked 'ignore words...' under Preferences > Sorting/Grouping?
I have it unchecked and don't experience such behaviour anywhere in MusicBee?

I thought it still ignored The, even if you didn't ask for it. That doesn't happen for you?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

I thought it still ignored The, even if you didn't ask for it. That doesn't happen for you?

Nope. All I do is uncheck it, and then everything is as expected.
I would find it strange if (and for you this seems to be the case) that wouldn't completely disable making any distinctions for 'the' anywhere in MusicBee.

MusicBee wouldn't do that for articles in other languages, so why should it then do it for English? (when unticked)

hiccup

You and the OP probably also have 'enable custom sort values..' enabled?
(I don't)

elixir

You'll need to go to the Sorting tab in the Tag Editor and manually enter it the way you want it to be sorted. If you want it to be applied in the column browser and so on, also check the "enable custom sorting" box at the top.

The good news is with custom sorting enabled, you should only have to enter the change once for each artist/album.

wow... didn't know it was this easy
thanks