Author Topic: Is there a way to add additional top level folders in Music Bee?  (Read 1530 times)

QuorumOf4

So I recently downloaded Music Bee and I found I was able to remove my Audiobooks out of the Music folder. I want to know if there is a way to create additional Top Level Folders like "Music, Podcast, Radio, Audiobook, etc." I Have things like Comedy Albums, Game Audio, Etc I'd like to remove from the main Music Play folder. I can't Find an obvious way to do this, and I don't seem to be able to accurate describe what I'm trying to do for a google answer.

Anybody Know?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

You can do what you want by using Filters, which are basically sub folders of the Music node. Check out Filters on the wiki. (Link in my signature.) You can choose to have them displayed in left navigator or not.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

QuorumOf4

Hi, welcome to the forum!

You can do what you want by using Filters, which are basically sub folders of the Music node. Check out Filters on the wiki. (Link in my signature.) You can choose to have them displayed in left navigator or not.

Thanks for the response Psychoadept,

Filters aren't exactly what I'm looking for, but it's a usable workaround. I basically want to be able to make independent duplicates of the Music and Audiobook folders with different names. I don't want Stand up Comedy Albums in the Music Folder or Audiobook folder, it makes more sense to me to create a Navigation Node without filters (like Audiobooks) for comedy albums. At the same time I also have a bunch of looping Audio for Tabletop RPG that I do want to tag, but I'd never want to actually mix with my Main music folder.

I've gone through a good chunk of the documentation at this point and I'm not seeing any direct support for it, so it might be something that requires a plugin.

bokel

Hi Quorum, why not create separate libraries which is the way i have done it, i have music, radio shows and Flac files, which i find is the easiest way.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've requested filters for Audiobooks in the past, but so far Steven hasn't decided to follow up on that. I don't think there will ever be custom top level divisions, but you can also use auto playlists, which work on the same principle as filters.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

QuorumOf4

Hi Quorum, why not create separate libraries which is the way i have done it, i have music, radio shows and Flac files, which i find is the easiest way.

I looked into libraries following your suggestion. It's a descent workaround for things that I don't need filters for. I can throw the Comedy Albums in their own library. However Libraries seem to share filters from MusicBees settings. This means it's not an ideal solution because I can't have separate filters for separate libraries. I have for example a ton of seamless loop audio tracks for Tabletop RPG that I'd ideally label with filters for things like "fantasy" or "cyberpunk", but having those filters present on my main music library creates a huge amount of bloat.

Thanks for the Suggestion!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator

I looked into libraries following your suggestion. It's a descent workaround for things that I don't need filters for. I can throw the Comedy Albums in their own library. However Libraries seem to share filters from MusicBees settings. This means it's not an ideal solution because I can't have separate filters for separate libraries. I have for example a ton of seamless loop audio tracks for Tabletop RPG that I'd ideally label with filters for things like "fantasy" or "cyberpunk", but having those filters present on my main music library creates a huge amount of bloat.

There's a setting when you create a filter to only apply it to the one library.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

QuorumOf4

I've requested filters for Audiobooks in the past, but so far Steven hasn't decided to follow up on that. I don't think there will ever be custom top level divisions, but you can also use auto playlists, which work on the same principle as filters.

It's probably one of those things that sounds simple, but is hella hard to implement in the code. Maybe I can do Dual Installation in different file folders or something.

There's a setting when you create a filter to only apply it to the one library.
Well I might just end up doing that then. Not pretty, but it'll be functional.