Author Topic: Can't drag and drop files into library  (Read 7572 times)

dirtee

Hey guys,

I recently formatted my laptop and then re-installed MusicBee, managed to get all my files back in the same place where they were and most things were functional and alright but I had a few issues.
One of those is the inability to drag and drop files into my library. I do not use the inbox at all. I used to be able to just drag files into my library, where they'd get sorted by the "automatically organise my library" setting and then I would edit them if I chose to.
Now I have to manually "Add files to Library" everytime I want to add a music folder...
Any thoughts and help?

Cheers

Bluebatt109

I've never been able to drag and drop to my Musicbee library. I assumed that you couldn't.

Steven

• Administrator
You cant drag/drop in musicbee if you are running musicbee as an administrator - thats a windows restriction.
Also if a file is already in the library, MB will block dragging the same file into the library

dirtee

I wasn't running it as administrator any longer BUT I literally just realised it was the shortcut that was the problem. Deleted the shortcut, created a new one and everything is fine!
Actually, everything is not fine. It's now back to a previous problem I had where every time I open Music Bee, it's on the same song, doesn't save my settings. You actually helped me fix that by running Music Bee as administrator.
Do you see my dilemma now?
You said Music Bee would need access to this file C:\Users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming and I'm trying to make that happen!
THere is no music bee file in the above directory though.
Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 02:10:27 PM by dirtee

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It sounds like you might have a file permissions problem, if MusicBee can't save it's settings without being run as an administrator.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

dirtee

I must add that these two issues I've been having occurred after formatting my laptop and re-installing Music Bee, and then getting all my music back on it.
Could it some settings that came with that were altered somewhere?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Did you transfer backup settings files from a previous Windows installation?
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

dirtee

I believe so. I followed the Backup & Restore section of the MusicBee wiki. All these settings were working fine though before re-importing my library. Something must have gone wrong in the transfer though...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I've had problems in the past with file permissions from my previous Windows installation not transferring smoothly to my new user account. You should be able to take a look using File Explorer to see if that's the issue. This might help: https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/take-ownership-folder-windows-10-using-file-explorer

Just don't go crazy changing permissions; I've messed myself up that way, too.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

dirtee

Thanks Psychoadept. So what am I doing that to? The Music Bee exe?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks Psychoadept. So what am I doing that to? The Music Bee exe?

I'd look at the settings files in the appdata folder. I imagine the program files are fine since you would have installed MusicBee from scratch.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

dirtee

Would that be in C:\Users\<your id>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee  ??
Because there is currently no MusicBee folder there at all.. :/

frankz

Help->Support->View Settings File

Near the top there's an entry like this: <ENV_OrigSetPath>C:\Users\<MYUSERNAME>\AppData\Roaming\MusicBee\</ENV_OrigSetPath>.  That's where the file should be.

If there's no entry like that (I don't know if that's possible), with that file open in notepad you can see what directory it's coming from by selecting File->Save As... (you don't need to actually resave it, you're just seeing where it's located)
Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 04:46:25 PM by frankz

dirtee

Hey Frankz, I've got this line: <ENV_OrigSetPath>C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee\AppData\</ENV_OrigSetPath> ,should the file be there?

frankz

I don't think it should be, but that's where it is.  That's the folder you'll want to give your account write access to.

Someone with more knowledge will have to tell you if you can simply move the entire AppData folder to a folder under your user account that you already have write access to and then change that line to the new location (if you wish to do that).  I don't know if that would work.