Author Topic: Problems syncing playlists to Android device  (Read 2658 times)

plopp

Hi,

I have tried searching the forums and the wiki for a solution to my problem without luck. I've been using MB for syncing music to my phone for quite som time without problems but I'm having trouble with syncing playlists to my Android device.

At the moment the synced playlists are of .m3u format and the path format is:

\Music\<Artist>...

but I need them to be in the format:

/storage/<SD card dev number>/Music/<Artist>...

Is it possible to enable the "Unix file path convention" and "map base file path" options for synced playlists?
Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 06:03:24 PM by plopp

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

I've never had any problems having .m3u playlists read on Android, but there's so much variation between Android devices that it may not mean anything. What device and what player are you using?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

plopp

Hi and thanks! I've been a long time user but never had the need to register at the forums.

Yeah I should've provided that info, I have a Moto G5 runing Android 8.1.0 and I use VLC 3.1.6 (open for other recommendations though).
Do your files also have the windows path convention ("\path\to\file")?

I believe the issue also lies in that VLC is installed on my phone's storage while I have my music and playlists on an SD card, which is why the absolute path to the SD card is required since the tracks are in /storage/<SD card dev number>/Music and the playlists in /storage/<SD card dev number>/Playlists and VLC cannot resolve the absolute path \Music.. since that path does not exist (regardless of "\" or "/".

I've written a small python script which fixes the file paths in the outputed files but I'd prefer if I only needed to click synchronize in MB and everything would work fine.
Last Edit: June 22, 2019, 07:02:57 PM by plopp

Steven

• Administrator
The unix path setting is for library exported playlists.
There is no unix path setting for device sync ie. playlist file references always follow the windows file path convention
I believe most android players allow window's file paths in playlist files.

Using wired sync via MTP, i dont think there is a way to reliably know the full storage/ sd card path. It would be possible with Wifi Sync though.

plopp

I suspected that but it also seemed weird that it was only me who had this problem so I felt pretty sure that I had configured something wrong.

I haven't looked too much into MTP libraries for finding the full path of the SD card, for now I have looked up the path manually and set it in my python script. I'll have a look at wifi sync but I guess I'll have to stick to running my script for now.

I'm a bit curious though since it seems like not many people have encountered this problem, how do people usually configure devices and playlists when using an SD card?
Or do people just buy phones with large internal storage?  :)

frankz

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem fully, but I have my library on an SD card in my phone and I just choose the SD card as the storage device.

My phone shows SM-G950U\Card\ and SMG950U\Phone\ in the Storage Settings drop-down when the phone is actually connected.  It just shows SM-G950U\Card\ when it's not because that's what I use, but they're both available to choose when the phone is connected.

No additional configuration beyond selecting the card device was necessary.