Author Topic: Rescan Artwork bug  (Read 2218 times)

redwing

After scanning artwork with embedded plus cover.*, remove cover.* from the retrieval settings and rescan artwork.
Then it still shows cover.* artwork from Tag Editor/Artwork Manager.

Steven

• Administrator
Its a long time ago since i implemented this functionality. Looking at the code and from what I recall, the intention and implementation isnt to remove artwork, just to either detect new artwork according to the selected filters or re-order the priority of already linked artwork.
The one exception is folder.jpg which is unlinked, and that was because of the problems that occur due to WMP writing small/rubbish artwork images to folder.jpg unknown and hidden from the user. I figured other artwork image files would only be in a folder because the user knowingly has them there.

Also keep in mind that the filters are just defaults for new artwork detection and that a user can manually do what they want on indiviual files, so I think what is implemented is a suitable compromise so they dont lose anything manually linked.

redwing

OK, I understand it's not a bug but originally intended.

But it's a bit surprising the command can only add new artwork with no ability to remove no longer selected artwork type.
So if you initially scanned artwork with embedded plus cover.*, but later change your mind and only want to use embedded.
But then the only option you have is either remove cover.* artwork manually from each album folder or re-create your library from scratch.
And the only reason it doesn't remove cover.* from the database is some manually linked covers could be that type even if the user has no manually linked covers, right?

That also explains some odd behavior and bugs you never fixed: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=23556.msg147616#msg147616
And I remember I had to re-create my library several times whenever you made a change to the command:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24951.msg143748#msg143748
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24981.msg144099#msg144099

I think you too were confused about this at times:

to clarify one thing - i am not planning to change "Rescan Artwork" which has the intention for the user to be able to reset the linkages according to the configured preferences.

And I think that's the right approach. If it's not clear, add an option to the command whether to remove no longer selected artwork types.

Anyway if this is the case, I think the default settings for artwork retrieval should be only embedded since users won't be able to remove no longer wanted artwork type once they get scanned.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Yeah, i agree there needs to be some way to mass remove undesired artwork. I have a situation where (completely due to user error) I accidentally got about a dozen different artworks from different albums attached to a those dozen albums. This would greatly simplify cleaning it up.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

Did you remove this functionality after my previous post?

the next update will automatically associate filename "Back.*" with picture type: Album Cover (back)

It worked until 3.3.7110 but it no longer works since 3.3.7113 as it adds back covers just as "Album Cover."
If the change is intentional, I'd like to know why.

redwing

Obviously I have overstayed my welcome at this forum.
I will leave after removing my add-ons as I won't maintain them.
Good luck to everyone!

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Good luck to everyone!

That's devastating news, your invaluable help for 10 years will be greatly missed!
If this was a knee-jerk reaction, I really hope you will reconsider.
Very best regards:Freddy

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Well, that was unexpected.  I wonder if something happened behind the scenes?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
Good luck to everyone!
I dont always have time in the morning to answer questions.
Why on earth do you think this? That is not the case at all and unless there is something else going on that i dont know about then there is no reason for you to feel this. I really value your input and help you have given.
I honestly cant believe this reaction.
I hope you change your mind and as far as I am concerned you are welcome.

hiccup

Some form of resurrection would be good.

While I certainly had some more personal issues once in a while, we still do all share the same hobby/interest, right?

Also, all the deleted skins and theater-modes could only have come to fruition thanks to a lot of work and effort that Steven and other members have put in over the years.
Often on very specific requests from 'he who left the building'.
And even though appreciation for plugins and skins is not often spoken-out by users using them (it's a rather ungrateful hobby ;-) , I am sure they are appreciated by many.

So all-in-all, who really benefits from this (probably impulsive) action?

Probably nobody.
Turn back the time a little bit?