Author Topic: Folder moving support from left navigator  (Read 1759 times)

redwing

Currently MB shows no indication while a folder is being moved to another drive thru drag and drop which could take some time depending on the folder size. It would be helpful if the status bar and the MB icon on taskbar show the progress just as they do for copying process.

Also drag and drop a folder to another drive with deep folder structure is not an easy task. It would be great if the context menu of a folder shows "Cut" "Copy" and "Paste" menu just like Windows Explorer. Then users would no longer have to worry about dropping a folder into a wrong place while moving it.

Steven

• Administrator
Cut/ Copy/ Paste was included in the last v3.2 patch update

redwing

Thanks a lot! Also progress bar shows up on the taskbar icon while pasting.
Can you show status bar message as well showing the progress just like when copying files?

redwing

When pasting to another drive is done, the newly created folder gets auto-selected on the left navigator. But the main panel keeps showing previously selected node. It needs refreshing when the selected node changes.

redwing

Not sure this is expected but if I try to move a folder when a file is open in another program, the behavior is different depending on whether the target drive is the same drive or not.

With a linked artwork opened in an image editor, I tried to move the folder (its sub-folder contains the image file) using Cut and Paste context menu.
If the target drive is the same drive, it shows "unable to move folder" message and nothing moves.

System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. [some folder path]
   at #=z77WVDdx1WDwwCYXx6gCy5MU=.#=z_5oAN3ZTD_eK.#=z1DAMYIw=.#=z0vDSquQ=(#=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zpr7DfQY=, #=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zwofFqPE=, Boolean #=zvqeprO$we_wG)
   at #=zXaiWotjOQnH4Orbd0JVPUby$RA$7.#=zPF_KC5A=(#=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zpr7DfQY=, #=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zwofFqPE=)
   at #=zLdCXB0WEsOFvufDE$RljHGM=.#=zPF_KC5A=(#=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zpr7DfQY=, #=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zwofFqPE=)
   at #=zDM7LcWmYg6ySTk38yJ8fasU=.#=zPF_KC5A=(#=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zpr7DfQY=, #=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zwofFqPE=)
   at #=z8xHqvV2N_e4CcHEb8FYrQAQ=.#=qgznAp4GmyqTjp2gRTBoL6Q==._Lambda$__0()

But if the target drive is a different drive, even though it shows the same "unable to move folder" message, the folder gets either moved or copied. When it's moved, it still leaves empty folders. Sometimes it only moves artworks and copies music files.

#=z77WVDdx1WDwwCYXx6gCy5MU=+#=z_5oAN3ZTD_eK+#=z10R2C4gV$12m: The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process. [some folder path]
   at #=z77WVDdx1WDwwCYXx6gCy5MU=.#=z_5oAN3ZTD_eK.#=z1DAMYIw=.#=z0lie_DI=(#=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zk$1ZxLM=, Boolean #=zarnPVOo=, Boolean #=zvqeprO$we_wG)
   at #=zLdCXB0WEsOFvufDE$RljHGM=.#=zPF_KC5A=(#=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zpr7DfQY=, #=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zwofFqPE=)
   at #=zDM7LcWmYg6ySTk38yJ8fasU=.#=zPF_KC5A=(#=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zpr7DfQY=, #=z1xibiS$tGD1yvB32bo2d4JY= #=zwofFqPE=)
   at #=z8xHqvV2N_e4CcHEb8FYrQAQ=.#=qgznAp4GmyqTjp2gRTBoL6Q==._Lambda$__0()

Steven

• Administrator
Both use the same MusicBee code and same windows API, but i understand that internally Windows does 2 transactions when moving to a different drive ie. copy folder and files/ delete them from source
whereas on the same drive its one atomic transaction just to move the directory entry

There isnt a documented way I know of to detect if any files in a folder/sub-folder are already locked by another process

redwing

There isnt a documented way I know of to detect if any files in a folder/sub-folder are already locked by another process

I thought it knows it before trying since both cases show the same error message.
Anyway no big deal as it doesn't do anything unwanted.