Author Topic: Greatest Hits???  (Read 2295 times)

Birdman8711

Hello,

I am 'relatively' new to MusicBee. I've been using it for a few weeks now and love it...so far. In fact, I've replaced WMP with it (something I NEVER thought I would do).

However, I have encountered a VERY frustrating situation and all the searches I've done on this forum and mostly on Google do not answer my question.

I have several tabs in my Musicbee (Playlist, Artist, Album, Genre, Now Playing and Radio). All the tabs are correctly displaying information EXCEPT for the Albums tab. I have a LOT of "Greatest Hits" albums and MusicBee has combined ALL artists/tracks into one giant 'greatest hits' album and I don't want that. Is there any way I can set it up so that it doesn't combine albums of the same name (without having to make any alterations to the actual album names)

Bizy

Hé Birdman,

Take a look at these settings:  Edit/Edit preferences/Sorting & Grouping - Grouping.
There you can define what MB considers to be an 'album'.

Some more info in the Wiki:  https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Sorting_%26_Grouping

Hope that helps.
Greetz,
b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

Birdman8711

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!

All I had to do was add "album artist" below "album" in the grouping and that did it! It was bugging the crap out of me!

chatham

don't know if you fixed this but I thought I would how I fixed it.  I came across this issue as well particularly with compilation albums.

the easiest way I found is to do the following, assuming your using windows pc:

use windows explorer to open the folder of the music files you want to modify.  example: music/100 new wave hits

highlight all of the files in the folder

right click and choose properties

make sure/change album name is 100 new wave hits.  this will change all of the songs in that folder to be on one album / 100 new wave hits.  if you have albums for example, 100 hits of the 50's divide into each year of the 50's over ten folders, then you have to do each sub-folder.  in each sub-folder you would highlight all of the songs, right click and choose properties and name album 100 hits of the 50's, 1950.  then you need to make album artist 100 hits of the 50's.  this will make sure that all of the songs from your 100 hits of the 50's stays in the same category, 100 hits of the 50's.  then by naming the album artist by the year you will divide them into the  1950 thru 1959 years.  I hope this make sense.

this is by far the easiest way I have found to solve this issue and it works very well.  but you have to remember to not allow MB or another program to re-tag them.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
use windows explorer to open the folder of the music files you want to modify.  

You can do all of this renaming and moving from within MusicBee using the tag editor and file organization commands, and not only will it be easier than doing it manually but it won't break MusicBee's file links.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

chatham

the only problem with this is if MB has already tagged everything wrong (not how you have it organized in your folder) then you have to track down each track and do it in MB.  if you do it in windows explorer you can do all the tracks at one time. very fast and simple

Bizy

if you do it in windows explorer you can do all the tracks at one time. very fast and simple

How can that be more easy than in MB?
And what's more:  you don't need to rescan your files - what you need to do when you edit your files outside of MB.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

Pingaware

the only problem with this is if MB has already tagged everything wrong (not how you have it organized in your folder) then you have to track down each track and do it in MB.  if you do it in windows explorer you can do all the tracks at one time. very fast and simple

If you want to find things via your folder structure, just use the computer node. This means you don't break links in MB's library.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Or use infer and update tags from filename
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)