Author Topic: Can MusicBee detect external renaming of files?  (Read 4470 times)

matiasr

Use File> Library> Relink Music Files Paths command.

Ok, I saw that option but thought that would only be used for whole library changes. So, I have to enter the old path in the first field. But the only way to find what that old path was is to go to File Organizer, look for it and manually copy it in the other field. Or is there a simpler way? Also, I now have the "2 albums" merged together (so there are duplicate tracks). How do I fix that? Sorry for all the dumb questions, but I'm afraid as much as I want to get used to the system, it's not very intuitive to me. Thanks in advance.

redwing

If you add path field to the column header, you will be able to see the no longer existing path for the dead links.
If you run the relink command it will take care of it. Did you try it?

matiasr

If you add path field to the column header, you will be able to see the no longer existing path for the dead links.
If you run the relink command it will take care of it. Did you try it?

If I understand correctly what you suggest, that's what I did. As I said, that corrected the dead links. But before that, when I tried to fix it by myself through File Organiser, I used the 'to folder' field and wound up with a duplicate for the album (this one, with correct links). So now I have the album linked twice. I don't know if I'm making myself clear.

redwing

If they are duplicate entries for the same files, pressing F5 (refresh) will merge them into one.

matiasr

If they are duplicate entries for the same files, pressing F5 (refresh) will merge them into one.

Ok, that worked. Thanks.

Update: I tried "Locate Missing Files" for the original album I had the problem with (the one that originated this thread) and was afraid I would have to enter track by track using the '...' (browse) buttons as I didn't see a global option. But I just linked the first one and the program did the rest (it even tells me what matches for each track), so that was a relief.
Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 04:21:32 PM by matiasr

redwing

Whatever method is used to relocate the files, it seems always losing some kind of metadata. For one thing, ratings always get lost if they are saved only to the database. Sometimes you lose date added, play count, skip count and last played as well. I don't know if it's a bug or current limitations, but I never try editing file paths while not running MB.

matiasr

Whatever method is used to relocate the files, it seems always losing some kind of metadata. For one thing, ratings always get lost if they are saved only to the database. Sometimes you lose date added, play count, skip count and last played as well. I don't know if it's a bug or current limitations, but I never try editing file paths while not running MB.

I'm still undecided whether I want to save stuff like play count to the mp3 tags. I don't really know the implications so I'm still trying to make up my mind. As I said, I never used a proper music manager, so I never used any of those features but I'm planning to. Is there any reason not to save stuff to the tags? I didn't like the idea at first but I see many people do it. Would it prevent at least some of that data loss? You mentioned ratings, but what about play count, which I'm more interested in keeping?

redwing

Would it prevent at least some of that data loss?

I think you're referring to this method: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12987.0
That will help in case your library files get lost or corrupted since you still have the values saved to your files.

But in this case, if relocating files somehow loses their previous play count, the preset will immediately reset the file tag too. So you should disable the preset before trying to relocate files.

Another way is a regular backup of your MB database (.mbl) file since it contains all metadata for your library files at the time. Then you could bulk copy selected field values using Additional Tagging Tools plugin if something happens to your machine.

Also take a look at tag backup feature of the plugin.
Last Edit: June 08, 2019, 12:27:23 PM by redwing