Author Topic: FPCALC - digital sound analysis  (Read 57492 times)

Steven

• Administrator
When auto-tagging by track, MusicBee has the option to identify a track by its digital sound signature. This function requires the file: fpcalc.exe
The file fpcalc.exe is no longer included in the MusicBee release but is available here:

https://getmusicbee.com/download/plugins/fpcalc.zip

The files need to be copied to the root MusicBee application folder ie. the folder that MusicBee.exe is installed
Last Edit: December 29, 2021, 02:31:29 AM by Steven

sveakul

Steven

• Administrator

Aguila1952

Hi Steven,

I have downloaded and installed fpcalc.exe in the "root" directory of musicbee where musicebee.exe is located.  Beyond that I don't know what I might be doing wrong as I have no luck configuring this plugin.

When I go to Preferences and Add Plugin, I try to find the fpcalc app but it does not appear at all.  I have extracted the zip contents to the Musicbee folder.

Got any more specific instructions?

Thanks, Ray

p.s. I tried to insert screen captures but the suggested methods are so convoluted.  Why can't I just "insert" a jpg image instead of having to use some other go-between app?  Just wondering.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

phred

• Global Moderator
Why can't I just "insert" a jpg image instead of having to use some other go-between app?  Just wondering.
Because we have no control over that. It's the free forum software used. And the instructions aren't that convoluted. If you can't figure out how to insert an image, than simply insert the link to the image.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

Got any more specific instructions?

If you have the 32-bit "fpcalc.exe" file in the MusicBee root directory, that's all the setup there is.  As it isn't a plugin per-se it's not placed in the Plugins directory and does not show up in the Prefs/Plugins section.

It functions during the choice to right-click a file, choose "Auto-tag by track" and then "Identify Track and Update Tags".  In the resultant dialog it attempts to do the "identifying" part if you check the box "identify the track artist and title using the digital sound signature."

The newest version of this is the one available at the developer's site on GitHub (currently version 1.4.3 from 01/21/2018);  download the zip here and extract fpcalc.exe from the folder within the zip: https://github.com/acoustid/chromaprint/releases/download/v1.4.3/chromaprint-fpcalc-1.4.3-windows-i686.zip
Last Edit: November 03, 2019, 06:08:22 PM by sveakul

Havokdan

One suggestion for topics of plugins, to place the application version on the topic title and the plugins page there was a history of the released versions and the current version.

Farahelf

Hello !

I am trying to follow the instructions to install fpcalc.exe but I don't understand how.

Can someone please explain how to "install in the root MusicBee application folder" for the not techy people ? Please please

Thank you !!

Steven

• Administrator
Can someone please explain how to "install in the root MusicBee application folder" for the not techy people ? Please please
I have updated the instructions in the first post

rudolph

It has never worked succesfully. For me it always shows

Unable to identify the track from it's digital sound signature

And sometimes quickly closes

sveakul

It has never worked succesfully

Be sure you are using the 1.4.3 version (https://github.com/acoustid/chromaprint/releases/download/v1.4.3/chromaprint-fpcalc-1.4.3-windows-i686.zip).

Outside of that, it seems the database fpcalc uses for the look-ups is apt to be mighty small, because the documentation (https://acoustid.org/docs) states: "The AcoustID database depends on user-submitted content.. The primary focus is on integration with the MusicBrainz music metadata database. There is a long way to go to reach the goal, but you can help by submitting more fingerprints.."   :-\  See the docs for more info.

Steven

• Administrator
i recall it only works with M4A and MP3 files, so what format are you using?

sveakul

Steven:  I tried removing the Artist and Title tags from a FLAC file in my library using an external tagger, and rescanned it in MB.  Then, did the manual auto-tag by track option/identify track and update tags, with "identify track title and artist using the digital sound signature" checked.  The FLAC was found and the track/artist successfully added.  So I guess in the case of FLAC format at least, it is working.  The track though was not unusual/esoteric.  FWIW.

Update:  ditto for OPUS with a common title--identified/updated successfully with fpcalc.
Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:02:23 AM by sveakul

sveakul

A new version of fpcalc.exe, 1.5.0 (2020-04-15), is now available at the link below.  Those wishing to update should extract fpcalc.exe from the folder inside the zip to the MusicBee main directory, overwriting the existing version.

https://acoustid.org/chromaprint