Author Topic: Context sensitive "send to external tool"  (Read 4541 times)

Mathiross

Hi,
thanks for your software, i've tested a lot of other player, it's still the best in 2019 !  8)

I've added a toolbar icon for a google search. It's pointing on an external application according to "<Artist> <Album>"

application path: C:\Users\Mathieu\AppData\Local\Vivaldi\Application\vivaldi.exe
parameters: "https://www.google.fr/search?q=<Artist> <Album>"

It's working perfectly when I've selected 1 track. The problem is when I've selected an album: if the album contain 12 tracks, it's openning 12 internet browser tabs, with 12 identical searches...

I've often crashed my browser when a big number of tracks where selected.

What can I add to the parameters in order it's searching just once? Maybe, just according to the <Artist> <Album> of the first track selected among the others.

If you have any ideas...

All the best from France

Mathieu

redwing

See this guide and use custom web links feature instead:

https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=24540.0

Then it will open a single tab even if you launch with multiple selected tracks. But if you're gonna mostly use with multiple selected tracks, use <Album Artist> in place of <Artist> in the template because it won't include artist value in the URL if selected tracks have different artist tag values. In that case it will only search with album value. I will add this to the guide.

Mathiross

Thanks a lot for your answer,
I remember now why did I use external app instead of custom web link: with web link, you can't setup a shortcut or a toolbar icon.
I use very often theses functions and I need a fast way to use them (and in the information panel it's taking so much space...)

For Steven, maybe it would be simplier to merge these 2 ways of doing quite the same functions: export informations out of MB, internet or not and being able to set icons and shortcut for all kind of things. It would remove a line in the context menus also.

In the meanway is there a way of doing what I wondered with the external app?

Thanks a lot.

Mathieu

redwing

I use very often theses functions and I need a fast way to use them (and in the information panel it's taking so much space...)

If you have no space in your track info panel even for a single link, just right click on an empty space on the panel and select the link.

In the meanway is there a way of doing what I wondered with the external app?

I'd only select a single track.

Mathiross

Ok, thanks, it'as actually what I do, but sometimes, when I'm mass tagging, I forget it and it's crashing the browser with a lot of tabs....

I think these web search functions as icons or shortcut could anyway enter into the MB wishlist.

Thanks again, have a nice day

Mathieu

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Would it be possible for MusicBee to determine, when sending info to an external tool, that, for instance, the tags used as parameters are identical for all the tracks sent, so it only needs to send it once for x many tracks?

For example, if I click on an album and send it to Album Artwork Downloader, the parameters are album and album artist. But if the album has 20 tracks, MusicBee will send the exact same info 20 times, when it only needs to do it once.

Maybe it would simplify things if there were a flag we could set to say "only run this once at a time" or something?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Are you aware that in Album Art Downloader there is an option to uncheck 'Open search results in new window'?
This might solve your issue?

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Are you aware that in Album Art Downloader there is an option to uncheck 'Open search results in new window'?
This might solve your issue?

Yes, I have that option set already. That's just an example. Try a Google search with 20 tracks selected...
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

Yes, I have that option set already. That's just an example. Try a Google search with 20 tracks selected...

So for Album Art Downloader it's not an issue then?

Do you have set "<URLs>" under 'parameters:' for your google searches?
Surely everybody uses his own tweaks, and you may well be using things differently from me.
I just can't replicate this right now.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
For album art downloader, it still launches the search x many times, it just does it all in the same window.  Not the end of the world, but it does slow things down.

Using <URLs> is irrelevant here, because URL is different for each track. Like I said, this is in a case where the parameters are the same for all tracks, notably <Album> and <Album Artist>.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

For album art downloader, it still launches the search x many times, it just does it all in the same window.

What do you have under 'parameters:' there?
I have:

"<Album Artist>"  "<Album>"

and it only opens one instance of AAD.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Why are you hung up on AAD? This issue is about more than that.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

Why are you hung up on AAD? This issue is about more than that.

You are stating that you have AAD opening multiple instances.
That does not happen for me, and I was only trying to help, figuring out why that is the case for you and not for me.
But if you are not curious about that, neither am I.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You are stating that you have AAD opening multiple instances.
That does not happen for me, and I was only trying to help, figuring out why that is the case for you and not for me.
But if you are not curious about that, neither am I.

I think you missed this part:

For album art downloader, it still launches the search x many times, it just does it all in the same window.
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

hiccup

I think you missed this part:

Nope, didn't miss it.
Either I don't understand it, or it just isn't happening to me.
When I select an album, and then use my toolbar button for AAD, I get only one AAD panel showing the results, and after selecting the art that I want, I can close that one panel.
No multiple panels, no panels-in-panels, no multiple search results in one panel, or whatever.

Anyway, this is your wishlist topic, and this AAD matter seems to make us digressing from the core of your wish, so I'm outta-here.