Author Topic: Genre issue with Rocket Player  (Read 1791 times)

ghostofjemfinch

Hello,

I am experiencing a bit a strange bug with Rocket Player in that the genre defined in Musicbee for four albums is not carrying over to RP and showing up as "Other" instead.

They have been helping me to try and troubleshoot the issue and I have sent them two tracks from two of the effected albums for inspection at their end.

Their latest reply states the following:

Thanks for sending. So I can reproduce what you are seeing. So the version or format of the genre tags in those files is different than what was expected. We use a library called Tag.Lib for reading tags and it looks like it pulled "Other" from the tags.
In iTunes, I went and converted the tags to version 2.4 and then recopied them to my phone. Once I did that, the tags showed up as you would expect. Do you have a tag editor or iTunes that you could do that with?

Is this something that I would be able to manage under the second Tags tab?

redwing

Use tag inspector which can be launched from tag editor to see if they have other format of genre tags and you can clear them.

ghostofjemfinch

I opened the Tag Inspector and under ID3v1 I can see that the genre is labelled as Other.

To correct it I click on Genre to highlight it, hit the "..." button to edit the field, enter the corrected details, press enter, click save, and click save on the main edit window.

When I recheck the Tag Inspector the file has not updated and the Genre value under ID3v1 is still Other.

Am I doing something wrong or missing a step?

I am confused as to why my changes are not saving.

Do note that I have checked the files and they are not Read-only.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Perhaps you need to use the [-] button to actually delete the tag. Also, have you checked that "also save ID3v1 tags" is cleared in preferences?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

ID3V1 was entirely hosed for Genres. It used a pre-defined list of Genres and, I think, if what you put for a genre wasn't on the list, it wound up as other.

Here's a list of the ID3V1 Genres.

ID3v1 was replaced in 1998.  Time to let it go.

ghostofjemfinch

Perhaps you need to use the [-] button to actually delete the tag. Also, have you checked that "also save ID3v1 tags" is cleared in preferences?

Tried that, still didn't make a difference. Preferences have this option checked.

ID3V1 was entirely hosed for Genres. It used a pre-defined list of Genres and, I think, if what you put for a genre wasn't on the list, it wound up as other.

Here's a list of the ID3V1 Genres.

ID3v1 was replaced in 1998.  Time to let it go.

I am willing to accept defeat in getting these four albums to label the way I want but I have 3187 other tracks with the one of the genre tags in question and 545 of the other so I'm just confused why these files are being so stubborn.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Preferences have this option checked.

You need to uncheck it so that MusicBee will no longer save these tags

If doing that and re-editing doesn't do the trick, then send me a pm with a link to one of the problem files
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)