Author Topic: Allow album covers to be format insensitive  (Read 1064 times)

JMuller

This is related to a bug report I made, that is apparently not actually a bug.

The situation :
I always store the album cover as a separate file in the album folder. Depending on the case, the file will either be named cover.png if I had a lossless source or cover.jpg otherwise.

The problem :
As it is, MusicBee systematically converts my PNG files to JPG whenever I edit the tags of the album. This creates duplicate covers (ie both cover.PNG and cover.JPG are present), which wastes space and feels messy.

The solution :
In the following dialog, allow the user to ignore file format altogether in the cover storage options (for example using cover.*, whereby MusicBee would auto-detect the file). Only the name would matter and not whether it's JPG or PNG or whatever else.
I believe implementing that would also fit with the other cover options that allow a lot of liberty in the naming and format of the cover (.*).

hiccup

I believe implementing that would also fit with the other cover options that allow a lot of liberty in the naming and format of the cover.

+1

Seems like a valid suggestion.

Allow me to piggyback on this with a slightly related brainfart:
I remember from my early days trying to understand what the options in that pane did exactly, the use of the word 'copy' confused me and made it more difficult to get to a good understanding.
Copy what? Copy from where?
It might be a language thing, or my brain taking things too literally, but in case that pane does get some revamp, perhaps using the word 'save' instead of 'copy' would be more appropriate and factual?

phred

• Global Moderator
perhaps using the word 'save' instead of 'copy' would be more appropriate and factual?
+1
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here