Author Topic: Leave cursor in search box after backspace  (Read 1850 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
When you delete the contents of the search box it returns to the previous screen, which makes sense. But it also takes the focus off the search box, so if I've finished with one search I can't delete what's in the box and immediately start another one, which is what I'd like to be able to do. Once the cursor is in the search box I expect it to stay there unless I click somewhere else or use the X to clear the search box (that's more like dismissing the whole thing).
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

hiccup

Are you referring to this search box?

For me it stays on focus both after pressing the X icon, and after keeping [Backspace] pressed until the input field is empty.
Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 10:51:41 AM by hiccup

phred

• Global Moderator
When you delete the contents of the search box it returns to the previous screen, which makes sense. But it also takes the focus off the search box, so if I've finished with one search I can't delete what's in the box and immediately start another one, which is what I'd like to be able to do. Once the cursor is in the search box I expect it to stay there unless I click somewhere else or use the X to clear the search box (that's more like dismissing the whole thing).
Yes. I've been experiencing this for so long that I've gotten used to it. But this reminds me that it really shouldn't be this way. If I backspace the criteria text, the cursor should remain and let me immediately start typing again. If I want to stop searching, I X out of the box.

My gut sense when I first experienced this was that it was an oversight and now I feel remiss that I never brought it up.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

phred

• Global Moderator
Are you referring to this search box?

For me it stays on focus both after pressing the X icon, and after keeping [Backspace] pressed until the input field is empty.
Very strange as it hasn't worked like that for me for years.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

hiccup

It looks like it depends on if you have selected to search Local Node Only vs. Entire Library.

phred

• Global Moderator
It looks like it depends on if you have selected to search Local Node Only vs. Entire Library.
Hmmm... interesting. I always have 'entire library' selected. But I just tested your theory and you are correct. The odd behavior only happens when searching the entire library.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
yeah, I'm almost always searching the whole library. there's a slight delay before it restores the previous view and the search box loses focus, but it's not nearly long enough for me to regroup and start my next search
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Zak

• Global Moderator
I also just noticed that when searching Entire Library with the main panel set to Tracks view, it switches to Album and Tracks view when it shows the search results.
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
You should be able to change that. You can set the view of the search results node and it should stick just like any other node.
Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 04:03:57 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki

Latest beta patch (3.5)

Pingaware

+1 for cursor retention when searching entire library
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.