Author Topic: Using dropbox to store my music and playlists & using 2 computers...  (Read 1088 times)

weeping prince

Don't know if this has been asked before...I have my music and playlists stored in dropbox. I use Windows pcs running Windows 10 on both computers.  Computer 1 was where I created playlists (work computer).  I go to computer 2 and it can read, access and play music, but it will not play music from playlists created on computer 1.  It has an exclamation point next to every song in playlist and says it cannot find songs.  Apparently they have different paths.  Computer 1 is a work computer and I am logged in as a different user than the username on computer 2.  Is there an easy fix?  Someone I know suggested moving my dropbox folder to c:/dropbox (instead of C://users/myname1/dropbox)

Ex: computer 1 dropbox is filed under: C://users/skywalker/dropbox
      computer 2 dropbox is filed under: C://users/vader/dropbox

I read that I can change the username within windows.  However, I do not know if that will fix issue or make things worse for all my computer files moving forward........or, is the best solution to simply move my dropbox to an individual folder outside of the "users" folder, such as C://dropbox  ?

Best solution out of this?  Playlists are so very important.  I do not understand why there is so much complication with moving or trying to use 2 differnent computers when listening to playlists.  Thanks for any help you can provide. 

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

Apparently they have different paths.  Computer 1 is a work computer and I am logged in as a different user than the username on computer 2.  Is there an easy fix?  Someone I know suggested moving my dropbox folder to c:/dropbox (instead of C://users/myname1/dropbox)

Yes, I think this is going to be your best solution. There are other things you could try involving relative paths or changing the username, as you say, but this is a simple and transferrable solution that will continue to be effective if you change computers or add another one.
Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 04:52:43 PM by psychoadept
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)