Author Topic: Artist pictures  (Read 5265 times)

jasongnome

With the new update, google is activated by default. After getting a picture of an actual whistle, while rap band "Whistle" were playing, and loops of wire when indie band "Wire" were playing, I turned it off.

However, it seemed to be finding less bands than it used to before the update so I turned it back on again.

"A House" unsuprisingly gave me a picture of a house, and "Black Box" a black box.

Things got a bit surreal when I was playing a late 80s Blast First compilation and one of Steve Albini's side projects, "Rapeman" came on and it gave me a picture of two Japanese schoolgirls...

The above aside, it would be nice if it looked elsewhere first and used Google as a last resort...

jasongnome

Thanks, Steven. I've downloaded it, I'll install it when I get in from work this evening.

redwing

The only change Steven made was this:

i have added "Music" into the search terms for google artist searches

You won't see much differences with your example artists as you could imagine what Google image search would show with "A House + music".

@Steven;

As I suggested before, if artist name starts with an article, try adding "band", which would produce better (more music-related) results at least for those artists.

redwing

There's a better way. MusicBrainz Artist query returns artist type.

e.g.

<artist id="d73596bb-a8f8-4aae-a323-d881f5245149" type="Group" type-id="e431f5f6-b5d2-343d-8b36-72607fffb74b" ns2:score="100">
<name>Black Box</name>
<sort-name>Black Box</sort-name>
<country>IT</country>

Add the returned artist type to the Google search term.

It has six kinds of types (https://musicbrainz.org/doc/Artist)

- Person: just "Music"
- Group: "Band"
- Orchestra: "Orchestra"
- Choir: "Choir"
- Character: "Music"
- Other: "Music"

Steven

• Administrator
this is a good suggestion and i will look into this

redwing

It's working a lot better even with the OP's extreme examples.

But when trying with "Wire" & "Whistle", it shows actual wire and whistle picture first time, and then starts showing band pictures. Are those first pictures coming from the wikipedia search?

Steven

• Administrator
But when trying with "Wire" & "Whistle", it shows actual wire and whistle picture first time, and then starts showing band pictures. Are those first pictures coming from the wikipedia search?
yes - i will see if anything can be done, although without having checked i am surprised fanart doesnt have anything for Wire

edit:
i can do something for Wire but not for Whistle. Now that google has been improved i might drop wikipedia for pictures
Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 08:28:01 PM by Steven

redwing

Now that google has been improved i might drop wikipedia for pictures

I think that's a good idea.

Steven

• Administrator

redwing

Thanks! It stopped showing the first irrelevant images.

redwing

Can you make some changes to the search terms for this?

- Person: just "Music"
- Group: "Band"

- Especially with classical music artists, if music is added it retrieves a lot of album covers rather than artist images. "Musician" for person-type artist seems to produce much better results for classical music artists (compare "Antal Doráti music" and "Antal Doráti musician") and almost no differences for pop artists.

- Now string ensembles show jazz band images with a similar name (compare "Amadeus Quartet" & "Amadeus Quartet band" or "Hollywood String Quartet" & "Hollywood String Quartet band"). So my suggestion is if a group-type artist name contains any of "Quartet, Quartett, Ensemble" then use "ensemble" for search term instead of "band".
Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:43:20 PM by redwing

Steven

• Administrator
i have done the first suggestion for "Person" and will do the second suggestion for the next update

edit:
not sure about "Musician" - in my tests its throwing up some unassociated artists so I may undo that after more testing
Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 10:19:31 PM by Steven