Author Topic: cannot reinstall MY musicbee  (Read 1798 times)

WimYogya

Hello all,

During my recent holiday trip my IT-technician took my pc home for a full new installation of Windows 10. He also installed a number of main programs, including MusicBee. But only the basic unpersonalized one.
Now I am home HE is gone travelling - for a few months and hardly reachable.

Please help me to re-install my own version of MusicBee. I do have ALL the userfiles of my previous installation, including the
Dark Night theme and my own layout.

But when I download the latest MB version and try to install it, Windows says it cannot write on C....
Never came across that error before.
What to do?
And after that: where to locate my latest version before the reinstallation?

Thanks so much for helping!
WimYogya
retired Dutchman (1944) in Yogyakarta, Indonesia

Coogan

The default install location is C:\Program Files (x86)\MusicBee.
My MusicBee Version:

sveakul

When you said he installed the "basic unpersonalized one", what version are you referring to?  If it's the "Windows Store" version, get rid of that one first before you go any further.

"Windows says it cannot write on C"-- Did you install the setup package as an Administrator (right-click "Run as an Administrator")?

Did you have the "Installer" version previously?  How did you save all the user files of the last install, by copying the entire MusicBee folder in Users/<you>/Appdata/Roaming, or do you actually have the settings and layout backup files created with MB itself?

WimYogya

@Coogan: I know that, and the program has been installed there,  but it doesn't help me.

@Sveakul:
Think I cannot answer all your questions. My technician left no information. Just a pc with W10 and some main progs, including MB.
== I did ask him before I left to give me ALL admin permissions, which he promised.
== I did not use the Windows Store version. In case HE did, I uninstalled MB and used the most recent https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gdlq4ohu8f2tz1/MusicBee_Setup_3_3_7077.zip?dl=1
== I just unzipped and installed that. But then the message said that it could not be written on C
== I don't know anymore if I have the 'installer version'  previously. Which one you mean? And how previously? In my previous W10 version?
== Don't remember how I saved all the user files, but have several backups of previous installations. But how do distinct the correct files from the incorrect/outdated ones.
== The same technician (who is travelling now) installed MB easily a few months ago, directly from the W7 OS to the first W10 OS on the same pc. Easy to copy/migrate settings, looks, layout, theme. But that first W10 had a myriade of errors, so he offered a fresh W10 installation while I was travelling and he had enough time. The current config has only one OS, so no option to copy settings from OS-old to OS-new

Sorry if I misunderstand or do things wrong. Am just a user. No pc or windows expert...
Hope I clarified my problem more...

Thanks
WimYogya

sveakul

== I did not use the Windows Store version. In case HE did, I uninstalled MB and used the most recent https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gdlq4ohu8f2tz1/MusicBee_Setup_3_3_7077.zip?dl=1
== I just unzipped and installed that. But then the message said that it could not be written on C
== I don't know anymore if I have the 'installer version'  previously. Which one you mean? And how previously? In my previous W10 version?
== Don't remember how I saved all the user files, but have several backups of previous installations. But how do distinct the correct files from the incorrect/outdated ones.

The MusicBee_Setup_3_3_7077.zip is NOT a full version, but an incremental update package that looks for a pre-existing install of MB to update;  finding none, it bailed out.  So, first you need to download and install the latest complete version on the regular download page (https://getmusicbee.com/downloads/), and after that run the 3.3x incremental update package you already have downloaded.

It sounds like your backup situation is a little confusing.  You might want to take this opportunity to consider making your new install a totally fresh start, creating a new library and re-doing your settings.  If that is something you prefer not to do, start with getting your new version installed and then we can go from there on working with your backups.

sveakul

BTW, the "Installer" version is the one that creates an install of the program files at the path Coogan indicated and places the user prefs in Users/<you>/Appdata/Roaming,  It's clearly marked on the download site.

The "Portable" version places ALL files, program and user, into a single folder of your choice.  As such, it is a whole lot easier to backup and access, and can be placed in a folder like C:\MusicBee outside of the Windows system hierarchy to avoid permissions issues.  It's the version I recommend, but as your backups seem to be from an Installer version and of uncertain form, I don't know how that may complicate their further use.
Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 07:38:08 PM by sveakul

WimYogya

Hello Sveakul,

I am on the way, but not done yet.
My library, theme, layout, settings are back - I think.
Now must link the external harddrive with the music from my library.

After many searches, trial, error I found my most recent 'old' settings etc back in the April23 backup that I let syncback make every night from 'my appdata'. I copied the content to the new Users/<you>/Appdata/Roaming folder. To be sure I must first re-install all my 4 external harddisks and assign the proper (=old) drive letter for recognition of the music. Then test the music player.

But I am confident the finish is coming close.
Will keep you informed.
Thanks,
Wim
Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 02:19:46 PM by psychoadept
WimYogya

redwing

i navigated to my most recent MusicBeeLibrary.mbl, located at E:\MyMainData\MyMusic|MB\Musicbee. The library is 110.476KB. I opened it with MB. The same empty version opened. No content at all.

How did you open it? And what else files do you have there?

redwing

Also try to find MusicBee3Settings.ini file using Everything. That would contain all your settings.

WimYogya

@Redwing:

Your 2 replies must have come in while I was editing my previous post - after think I found 90% of the solution.
See my latest post below.
Thanks, as always!
Wim
WimYogya

WimYogya

@Redwing
@Sveakul

Seems my problem is completely solved after I found the proper backup files.

One of you suggested a different backup way should make finding settings back easier.
How?

Anoter question:
How can I mark this post as 'solved' ?

Thanks for your help!
WimYogya

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
How can I mark this post as 'solved' ?

Most folks just edit the title and put [solved] at the beginning, something like that
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

redwing

A portable installation is a lot easier to manage and backup. It does not necessarily mean you have to install it on a portable device. It means you can install it in any folder and all related settings files are contained within the same folder.
For instance, install a portable version of MB to C:\MB and library files in C:\MB\Library. If you have any other sort of files, create another sub-folder under MB and store in it. Then make a copy of the entire C:\MB folder to multiple locations including one online storage. As long as you keep updating those backups with varied time differences between them, you don't have to worry about losing MB settings.

sveakul

@Redwing
@Sveakul

Seems my problem is completely solved after I found the proper backup files.

One of you suggested a different backup way should make finding settings back easier.
How?

Glad you're back on track!  Redwing's advice is the best, easiest way to be sure you always have a COMPLETE backup.  You can also produce a backup of just your settings file (doesn't include library, etc.) with MB by Edit->Saved Settings->Save Settings Snapshot, and of just your panel layouts by View->Import/Export->Export Panel Arrangement.