Author Topic: Displaying a non-square thumb  (Read 2106 times)

redwing

This image was auto-retrieved to my local thumb folder and it's a non-square image (200x256).
Look at how thumbnail browser & main panel in artists view display the image.

Either it's stretched out horizontally or the circle is cut off.

I know this won't happen with a square image but these non-square images are getting auto-downloaded it should be better displayed.

Steven

• Administrator
the stretching in places where the image is small such as the thumbnail browser is intentional but i agree for the circle cropping (in the main panel i assume) doesnt look like its working well. However unless the circle is made smaller, which i wont do, the image would either need to be stretched or cut-off equally on the left and right side.

By the way, which artist is this so i can check why a non-square image was retrieved?

redwing

He's Howard Shelley.

the image would either need to be stretched or cut-off equally on the left and right side.

Instead of stretching or cropping, can you just leave both sides empty in the circle while keeping the whole picture intact with its aspect ratio maintained?

Steven

• Administrator
yes that is what i am saying for the 2nd approach
Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 09:55:46 AM by Steven

redwing

OK. That would look much better both in thumbnail browser & artists view.

Steven

• Administrator
for Howard Shelley you must have got that using an older MB version via spotify as its now rejected due to not being square enough

redwing

Just tried again with removing it, and now it retrieves no picture. I'm not sure it's good not retrieving a non-square image. If there's a choice between a non-square artist image and a square album cover for artist thumb, I think it should retrieve the non-square image as long as MB shows them properly.

Steven

• Administrator
I have corrected the centering handling for circle cropping in the main panel
Thats all i will do for now as I am winding down development for v3.3

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

Steven

• Administrator
i just noticed there are cases where MB will not attempt thumbnail retrieval from Spotify if fanart fails.
Thats fixed now:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

redwing

I have corrected the centering handling for circle cropping in the main panel

That's not fixed. I see no differences with other non-square images as well.