Author Topic: Watch clipboard for text, and treat it as a search term  (Read 1773 times)

mrbenn

Random thought while going on a tagging binge:

A mode for Musicbee that would watch the clipboard for text, then auto-paste that text into the search box and bring up the result without having to alt-tab > paste or move the cursor.

Each new entry to the clipboard could open a new tab or refresh the search.

I guess this could be a plugin, but I have no knowledge of coding on Windows.

phred

• Global Moderator
I often have MB open and playing music on one monitor and doing other things on the other monitor. And that includes copying to the clipboard. I don't need/want that stuff being pasted into MB's search field.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

Zak

• Global Moderator
I think a better and less obtrusive implementation would be a new command "Search for clipboard text"*.
Yes, that would be an extra keypress, but anything that introduces a new "mode" to a program is generally bad.

Assigning the command to a global hotkey would allow searching even if MusicBee wasn't the active window.

*There's probably a better title...
Bee excellent to each other...

mrbenn

I often have MB open and playing music on one monitor and doing other things on the other monitor. And that includes copying to the clipboard. I don't need/want that stuff being pasted into MB's search field.

Oh for sure. This would be an option for when it was needed, not the default behavior.

zkhcohen

This would take me about 10 minutes to make as an add-on. Let me give it a shot ASAP.

mrbenn

This would take me about 10 minutes to make as an add-on. Let me give it a shot ASAP.

Amazing! Thank you!

I used this as an excuse to get back into Python. I'll post about that in the plugins thread.

zkhcohen

Amazing! Thank you!

I used this as an excuse to get back into Python. I'll post about that in the plugins thread.

Almost done with this one. On vacation so I can only work on it sporadically. Hopefully I can send it to you later today.

Tony1

How bout when text is highlighted in the browser and or anywhere on the computer. A "Search In MusicBee" option in the context menu.

mrbenn

I've posted a proof of concept written in Python in the plugins thread.

zkhcohen

Here's my proof of concept. Right now it only searches for the exact title of songs - this is because of a shortcoming with the API (or I have no idea how to use that call).

I'm submitting a request to Steven to have this issue resolved. If it is, it should search exactly the same way that the search bar does.

Link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ibdm0k2eois6zw0/mb_ClipboardTextSearch.dll/file

Hotkey Example:

There are effectively 2 lines of active code which make this work:

Code

public void ReceiveNotification(string sourceFileUrl, NotificationType type)
        {
            switch (type)
            {
                case NotificationType.PluginStartup:

mbApiInterface.MB_RegisterCommand("General: Search for Clipboard Text", searchLibrary);

break;
            }
        }

private void searchLibrary(object sender, System.EventArgs e)
        {

if(Clipboard.ContainsText())
            {

string searchTerm = Clipboard.GetText();

mbApiInterface.MB_OpenFilterInTab(MetaDataType.TrackTitle, ComparisonType.Is, searchTerm, MetaDataType.TrackTitle, ComparisonType.Is, searchTerm);

}
            else
            {

MessageBox.Show("No text found in Clipboard!");

}

}
Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 01:49:30 AM by zkhcohen

mrbenn

Grateful for the effort in putting this together. I'll install this and test this weekend.

Thanks

zkhcohen

Grateful for the effort in putting this together. I'll install this and test this weekend.

Thanks

Steven added the option to use "Contains".

Please try this version below:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ibdm0k2eois6zw0/mb_ClipboardTextSearch.dll/file