Poll

Do you use last.fm?

Yes*
20 (58.8%)
No**
14 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: Last.fm Usage  (Read 14383 times)

phred

• Global Moderator
I'm curious about last.fm usage among MB users.

* - If you vote 'yes' please add a reply stating why you use it and/or what for.

** - If you vote 'no' please add a reply stating why not.

Thanks.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Right now I use it exclusive for syncing play counts. Once this wifi syncing is working smoothly, I will happily leave it behind so I can tag my music however the bleep I want and not have to worry about whether Last.fm will correctly relay it back to MusicBee.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

I use last.fm for play count and last played sync.  That functionality is very important to me.  There was something about the way that the wifi play count sync worked that made me think "that wouldn't work for me," but I don't remember what it was.

I've never had an issue with last.fm not reporting the counts back properly.  It sends back exactly what it gets so, even if it doesn't match something in their database, it winds up at the right track in MB unless you change tags in the interim.

I also use last.fm itself.  I like the reports it makes on my listening, and I've had success with its recommendations.  I've found new music I enjoy that way.

I use it less for the other ways it's utilized in MB - similar artists in the library, genre tagging, playlist generation, but I have used those functions and they are pretty cool and work well. 

I've never used last.fm's album art and I'm not interested in artist pictures (I think they come from there).

Removing last.fm integration would be a big step backward IMO. 

phred

• Global Moderator
I don't use it because I have no interest in statistics. At this point in my life I don't care if I haven't played a track in x number of days. I don't care how many times I've played a track.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I don't use it because I have no interest in statistics. At this point in my life I don't care if I haven't played a track in x number of days. I don't care how many times I've played a track.

That's fair, lol. I just like having a way to make sure I rotate through the library over time. There's no way the play counts are ever going to be truly accurate; there are tracks I listened to on CD or even cassette or LP dozens of times that will never be captured, to say nothing of the stuff you hear at clubs, stores, restaurants, etc. But I do like the idea that I could tack on, say, 10 play counts if I feel like I've heard something a LOT and I want to move it out of rotation for a while.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
The stats are interesting but I mainly use it for the similar artists and the song suggestions.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Bizy

Honestly:  never even looked at it.
First thought was:  oh no, not one more account...

b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I did, but no longer bother.
Was very useful in adding thousands of 'Last Date & Time Played' track details when I first installed the lovely MusicBee.

bobisimo

I use last.fm to sync play counts and last listened, but I also use the heart feature extensively. I use it because I like to explore a lot of new music. What I mean is that looking at a bunch of albums I've only listened to once or twice, I may not remember well which I liked or disliked. But if I see an album has a bunch of hearts, then that reminds me that I had a good experience with it and helps me differentiate it. (Unless I see "Update on last.fm failed: Last.fm error: 29 - Rate Limit Exceeded - This application has made too many requests in a short period. If this is your API key, see https://www.last.fm/api/tos#4.4 for information about raising the limit.")
Last Edit: May 07, 2019, 02:45:10 PM by bobisimo

Pingaware

I don't use it. I think there is probably an account registered to one of my ancient email addresses, but I never used it seriously even back then. For the most part, I only ensure that my library when played directly through MB is well-rotated. I'm not worried about the rotation on my phone (or my iPod - yes I still have one that works!) as I have different criteria for songs being transferred there.
Bold words in my posts are links unless expressly stated otherwise.

jasongnome

b.

Same.

Bizy

Quote from: Bizy on May 06, 2019, 07:58:21 AM

b.

Same.

Well, thanks to the poll and all the fuzz:  started using it... :-D
It has some advantages (especially discovery).
But I only 'scrobble' when I play favourite tracks/albums.

b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

whoozwah

I use it because everything I listen with sends my play data to it and Musicbee syncs the playcounts, last played date and ratings down from it so I always have a current, available source for my statistical metadata.

mmakes

Yes, because I like hoarding statistics and it's also sunk cost fallacy... That aside, it's quite nice and sentimental to see how my taste and mind changes over the years. It's like writing my journal, but it writes itself.

frankuaku

• MusicBee lover
I was an avid Last.fm user when I was younger: started using it in 2012, last year I decided to stop using it and I also deleted my account. I think that Last.fm changed in a negative way during the years.