Author Topic: LastFM changes to API (02/05/19)  (Read 41053 times)

Steven

• Administrator
By the way, after re-enabling google, it didn't work immediately and I had to restart MB to make it actually show images from Google. Is it expected?
it should have automatically reset on starting the next artist. I will see whats involved with having it take immediate effect

redwing

You're right. It starts working with next artist. I tried the same artist.

Steven

• Administrator
This (supposingly) should address the rate limiting still being applied to playcount sync
Just a reminder also that when you love a track, unless you have sync love rating enabled in the last.fm plugin settings, the love rating will only update the MB database

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

redwing

- as a fallback wikipedia is used if last.fm artist biography fails - however wikipedia is not ideal as its not specifically focused on music/  artists and i am expecting there will be some cases of rubbish results

Headings are not handled properly in almost every case.

e.g. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andr%C3%A1s_Schiff

Schiff is Distinguished Visiting Professor of Piano at the Barenboim–Said Akademie in Berlin.

Biography
Schiff was born in Budapest into

becomes

Schiff is Distinguished Visiting Professor of Piano at the Barenboim–Said Akademie in Berlin.BiographySchiff was born in Budapest into

redwing

stardepp

I know Steven, you already told me not to ask for old features, but I ask again carefully.
The played play bar with the artist's metered counter now works reliably again in MusicBee 3.2. Can not you reintegrate this feature into MusicBee 3.3?

I would not really like to irritate.

redwing

I know Steven, you already told me not to ask for old features, but I ask again carefully.
The played play bar with the artist's metered counter now works reliably again in MusicBee 3.2. Can not you reintegrate this feature into MusicBee 3.3?

I think Steven have told you several times the feature is no longer supported unless last.fm changes their API policy. If it's that important to you, stick with v3.2 though there's no guarantee it will continue to work.

stardepp

Ok, I understand, but if that works again in Musicbee 3.2 then that can work in Musicbee 3.3 as well.

redwing

No, you don't seem to understand. Why do you think Steven removed lots of functionalities with last.fm even though they still work with v3.2?

redwing

Just as the topic of this thread says, last.fm changed their API policy, which forced Steven to remove some features for v3.3.

- Currently MusicBee exceeds app level rate limits by 10x ie. the requests would need to be reduced to 10% of current usage. Scrobbling is not affected for existing users, but new users cant reliably make the first connection to log on.
- I have identified track love, play count sync, similar artists and artist biographies as key functions that could be kept without exceeding the limits.

If such features are working more reliably recently with v3.2, probably that's because many people already started using v3.3.

Steven

• Administrator
@stardepp, as i already said I am not going to add this functionality back in for the reasons redwing stated

You could create a wishlist request for MB to show the artist play count based on the stats in musicbee itself

stardepp

Ok, now I understand it very well and will not ask for it anymore.

You could create a wishlist request for MB to show the artist play count based on the stats in musicbee itself

How do I do that exactly?

redwing

How do I do that exactly?

Create a new topic in the Wishlist sub-forum, if that's what you're asking.