Author Topic: Every album is in the correct order except one artist?  (Read 949 times)

willguitar100

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
I can't seem to figure this one out. I've always sorted my music as the following:
Album Artist > Year (Descending) > Album

I noticed today that every artist has the correct order on the albums, except Panic! at the Disco, which has a seemingly random order? My bonus tracks that are labeled disc 2 are also separated for some reason. I've checked over everything and retagged it all with both MusicBee and mp3tag with no luck. I recently updated the other day for the first time in months, but didn't notice this at that point. I know I can define custom sorting for specific artists, but I don't know if that's exactly a proper fix here.

Here's an example of CORRECT sorting


Here's a long string that shows the order of all my Panic albums. I cannot figure out what may be causing this.






Any help would be greatly appreciated!

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3151
A guess: Panic! At The Disco is different than Panic! at The Disco and both are different than Panic! at the Disco.

If you want to use different iterations as listed on the album labels for correctness, you should set one standard in the custom Sort As for album artist and (I think) make sure custom sorting is enabled.

My guess is that making everything consistent across Album Artist (and probably (maybe) sort album artist) will correct this.

As far as the "Disc 2" situation, if that's in the album name field it's of course going to be seen as a different album.  I can't tell from the screenshots if that's the case, but from your description it seems it is.  The proper place for disc number is in the disc number field. Then you can use Disc#-Track instead of track in your fields.  MB will only add the disc number in front where it's present, and just show track where it's not.
Last Edit: May 02, 2019, 05:54:28 AM by frankz
A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.

captain_paranoia

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 207
A guess: Panic! At The Disco is different than Panic! at The Disco and both are different than Panic! at the Disco.

That was my first observation, but even that doesn't explain what is being seen; the date order is wrong, even when the artist name is identical.

No! Wait! The OP is using a reverse date order (most recent album first)!

So, yes, the inconsistent artist names will be the problem.

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 32748
I don't think the letter casing should matter.

For the year displayed by the album cover, what field are you using eg. "Year" or "Year (yyyy)"
and for the sorting, you are using "Year" ?
ie. are you sorting and displaying the same field?

If you are sure, could you send me a zip with the following 2 files:
- MusicBee3Settings.ini (use help/ about/ view settings)
- MusicBeeLibrary.mbl which is in the root Music/MusicBee folder

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3151
I don't think the letter casing should matter.

It seems like it does.



A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 32748

frankz

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3151
It does happen - rarely.  ;D
A smile is happiness you'll find right under your nose.

Steven

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 32748

willguitar100

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
this fixes the issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

unzip and replace the existing musicbee files

Thank you! I've been out of town so sorry for the lack of replies. I'm excited to install the fix!