Author Topic: New Library on Laptop SD Card  (Read 2110 times)

DaveLeeNC

I have rebuilt my music structure putting it all into a single folder tree structure organized by Genre/Artist/etc I would like to build my MusicBee library from this, but I cannot find a way to type the relavant path when I try to create a library. The Folder dialog does not show this drive (G: drive in my case - File Explorer certainly sees it).

How can I do this?

Thanks.

dave

ps. I assume that once I do this that MusicBee will handle tree structures (that is, will look inside folders that are inside folders). Is that right?
Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 01:04:59 AM by DaveLeeNC

DaveLeeNC

I have stumbled into a couple of options here.

1) I THINK that when I went from 'Edit Preferences' to 'Devices' I started out with a list of 3 'Removeable Disk' entries with no other information. It also included a 'GARMIN' entry which is (I assume) one of my fitness devices that gets connected via USB periodically (not connected today). Then after I checked the box 'Check MTP Devices' I got a G: entry (and one less reference to 'Removeable Disk'). This would seem to be progress but I am not sure what I am being told here or what MBee is wanting to do with this.

2) There is also a 'Add Virtual Device' option on this screen. And this yields a folder selection which DOES include my G: drive (which is my SD card).

So maybe one of these paths is the right path but I am not sure which and and am really not sure exactly what either of these is doing.

dave

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
I think the trouble is that MusicBee always treats SD cards as portable devices, even though they can be semi-permanent.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

DaveLeeNC

I can see how that could be the case. How does MusicBee want to deal with 'portable devices'? I have around 75G of music data on this card, so maybe my music library and MusicBee are kind of incompatible??

Thanks.

dave

frankz

My daughter's entire library is on a removable thumb drive, and MB handles it fine.

Are you saying the drive doesn't show up in the location list when you click "Choose Folders" under File->Scan Folders for New Files?

If not, it should, but you can also try adding it to your windows music library and then adding the windows music library from that screen.
Last Edit: April 25, 2019, 04:29:30 AM by frankz

CritterMan

• Now with FiiO M11!
At work, I have a portable copy of MusicBee on the same flash drive as the tracks. I think that would solve your problem. No library issues regardless of which Windows computer I use it with.
Home Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable • Questyle CMA400i (ASIO) • Sennheiser HD 660S (balanced) / Audeze EL-8 Closed Back / Fostex TR-X00 Ebony • Teac AI-101DA • Jamo C93 + Dayton Audio SUB-1000
Work Desk ~ MB 3.3 Portable / Tidal • SMSL SU-8 v2 • Nobsound NS-05P • THX AAA 789 • Sennheiser HD 58X (balanced)
OTG ~ FiiO M11 • Audiofly AF180 / B&O H6

DaveLeeNC

My daughter's entire library is on a removable thumb drive, and MB handles it fine.

Are you saying the drive doesn't show up in the location list when you click "Choose Folders" under File->Scan Folders for New Files?

If not, it should, but you can also try adding it to your windows music library and then adding the windows music library from that screen.

I deleted my library earlier (by deleting the library folder). When I now go from Files -> Create New Library -> Choose Folders  I do NOT see my G: driver. See the Black arrow in the included screen shot. I clicked on that and got the resulting dialog box (with no G: drive).

What is interesting here is that if I simply choose where the MB database structure is stored (not where the music is stored), MBee can see my G: drive (see the Red arrow with ?). But that is not what I wanted to do.

I was hoping for understanding before I just start "trying stuff" where I don't understand why this is happening. For example I can go the the 'Choose existing library' option that is hidden in my linked image, and that dialog will see the G: drive. But I don't think that I have an existing library - I have a whole bunch of music files and they 'become a library' when MBee indexes them into a database. Or maybe not - like I said I am not sure of what is happening here.

Thanks.

dave

ps. I don't see a way to attach an image. This should do it (Dropbox link). https://www.dropbox.com/s/hyqushheme75xeb/MBee.bmp?dl=0

frankz

What happens if you tick the box next to "Removable Disk" and click OK???

DaveLeeNC

It does nothing - but I uninstalled the Sandisk SD card and installed it again, and restarted MB. And there are my files!

I am not sure that I would have done that 'without prompting'. Thanks!!

dave

redwing

I uninstalled the Sandisk SD card and installed it again, and restarted MB. And there are my files!

If you connect/disconnect devices while MB is running, try pressing F5 to update the computer node as most of the time MB doesn't recognize such changes.