Author Topic: Custom buffer size ignored?  (Read 1704 times)

whocares0101

Version: 3.2.6902 on windows 7 x64.

I'm playing my files from a network share and when there is some load on the share (e.g. copying files) the share does not respond for up to a few seconds occasionally, this seems to be a problem with my fileserver.
Meaning that the network share does not serve any requests, it totally blocks for up to a few seconds (e.g. shows no files in explorer when clicking a folder etc.).
All files are image+cue in flac format on a SAMBA share.
Increasing the buffer size does not help, even at 30 seconds if the network share hangs for a bit the audio drops out almost instantly.
Using WASAPI (shared) but this also happens with DirectSound this just repeats a small part (< 1 sec) of the track playing instead of stopping totally.
I tried to increase the buffer to 30 seconds, enabling PlayerWasapiEventMode with 5000 PlayerWasapiEventModeBuffer but nothing helps.

Even if the network would drop out completely MB should continue to play until the buffers are empty, that is up to 30 seconds on the highest setting.
This looks as if the buffer size is just ignored and a small default value (< 1 sec) is used instead.
I have a simple audio player which uses openal with a 2 MiB buffer size and there where no drop outs even if the network share was hanging for a moment.

Steven

• Administrator
You are not the first person to report this but i dont have a solid explanation. I can assure you the buffering is taking place.
Try v3.3 from the first forum topic as i bumped up the thread count for wasapi shared, which might help

whocares0101

Still happens with 3.3.6962 and WASPI shared.
This also happened with DSound, this doesn't look like a WASPI related problem.

whocares0101

Was this fixed in 3.3.7052?
I haven't had any dropouts since I updated.

Steven

• Administrator
the only change was an update to bassflac.dll which had a design flaw that could cause stuttering for flac files when the disc is very active or network share is congested.
Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 10:22:03 AM by Steven

whocares0101

Sounds like it would apply to my situation, thanks for the update.