Author Topic: Different subheading sorting for "Albums" and "Albums and Tracks"?  (Read 1464 times)

Zak

• Global Moderator
I'm loving the view customisation that's available in MusicBee now, but just noticed this inconsistency.

I'm using the Disc# field to include a disc description if one is applicable, and using that as a subheading above tracks.
However, by default MusicBee will understandably sort that heading alphabetically, which means tracks may appear out of order depending on the disc title.

To work around this I created a custom tag "Disc sort", which is just a numerical value to indicate the sort order.
I added this tag to a Custom Sorting entry.

This works perfectly in Album and Tracks view:

The tracks are sorted by the DiscSort field, with the second part of the score displayed before "Additional Music".

However, in Albums view, MusicBee ignores my custom sort field and reverts to sorting alphabetically on Disc#, so the tracks are shown out of order:

(More broadly, it appears it isn't possible to sorts tracks in Albums view by anything other than Disc#/Track#)

I'm wondering if this is a bug, an intentional implementation to avoid other issues, or if I've just configured my Albums view incorrectly.  :-\
Bee excellent to each other...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
This doesn't address the sorting issue in your question, which I think is important too.

Meanwhile, instead of Disc Sort why not make a custom tag with the section title, and use a virtual tag to stitch them together? That way MusicBee could still sort by Disc#/Track# in any view.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8830 P
Zak,
For Album view, go to Customise Panel> Show Settings and check your sub-grouping settings there.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Zak

• Global Moderator
This doesn't address the sorting issue in your question, which I think is important too.

Meanwhile, instead of Disc Sort why not make a custom tag with the section title, and use a virtual tag to stitch them together? That way MusicBee could still sort by Disc#/Track# in any view.
Using the custom tag for the title instead of the sort order will work. I was hoping to avoid changing 100s of existing disc title tags, but:
a) I guess with a large library, there are always times you have to just bite the bullet and commit an hour or two to retagging certain things; and
b) it's my fault for trying to overload the Disc# tag in the first place.  :-[

I just thought it was strange you can affect sort order in Album and Tracks view, but not Albums view.

Zak,
For Album view, go to Customise Panel> Show Settings and check your sub-grouping settings there.
The group header was appearing just fine, it was the track sorting order that I couldn't change.

Cheers for the replies.
Bee excellent to each other...