Author Topic: Start Audiobook in One Location, Couldn't Open File In Other Location  (Read 1623 times)

frankz

I recently started using MB for audiobooks and noticed something odd.

The audiobooks are in a networked location as my music files are.

I started an audiobook on my laptop install.  Got to about 14% and had to stop.  Wanted to start listening at my desktop the next day.  My progress was saved (% Played), but when I clicked on the file I got an "unable to open file error - 1" message.  I closed and reopened MusicBee.  The progress reported before was gone, (nothing in % Played), but the file played fine.

I'm not sure what's going on behind the scenes, but I assumed the 14% was stored in the library somewhere and clicking the file would jump me to that point in the file.  The file was definitely accessible to MB at that point because I'm on the computer where the network share is based and music files were playing fine. 

Figured I'd report it.

Steven

• Administrator
Does the audiobook have chapters? If so, then i can reproduce MB not remembering the position on startup.
This fixes that issue:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip

I dont have any ideas about the unable to open file error.

frankz

It doesn't have chapters.  My "audiobooks" are actually radio shows that I put in my audiobook library to remember the position.

I assumed the opening error and playback position problem were related, but maybe not.

Easy enough to get around.  I'll pay better attention to conditions and causes if it happens again.  Thanks.

Steven

• Administrator
also confirm "remember playback position" is ticked in the tag editor settings tab. That should be done automatically for files in the Audiobook library.

frankz

Thanks for that.  Yes, it is.  It initially remembered, and then it forgot.

I did the same thing last night - listened to the "book" on my laptop until I wanted to go to sleep and then tried to resume it at my desktop this morning.  Either the change you made fixed my issue or my issue was a one-off, because it worked fine this time.

I appreciate your attention to this.  Seems fine now.

frankz

OK - I looked at this a little bit more.

The "across two installs" part is irrelevant
The part about the "books" being stored on a network share is irrelevant
The "file access" error seems to have been a one-off

But...

Progress is consistently erased for my "books" although they all have the option selected to remember it.

Here's what happens.

Start a "book," then stop at some point without listening to anything else after ("book" stays loaded in player). Close MB, open MB.  Progress is erased on startup.

Start a "book," move on to some music, close MB.  Open MB.  Progress from the book is still there.

This happened consistently.  I tried each scenario about 5 times.  If I listen to something after the book, the progress gets kept the next time I open MB.  If I close MB without unloading the book from Now Playing (I do stop playback), progress is erased when I start MB (I see the % Played actually go from a percentage to blank).

If it matters, I have "do nothing" selected for "On Startup."

Steven

• Administrator

Steven

• Administrator
thanks for sending your settings. I still cant reproduce it, however i can see how it may be happening - just dont know how it gets into the state it does for it to happen.

So hopeffully this fixes it:
https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee33_Patched.zip