Author Topic: Any idea why Tools/Advances/Rescan All Files' doesn't (always) work?  (Read 1621 times)

Bizy

No big deal, as I 'work around this' by selecting all tracks/Send to/File Rescan.

Yet, I'm wondering...
Response (immediately) is:  "Scan completed".

b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

redwing

Recently I had the same issue.
So I ran Tools> Advanced> Compress library, then rescan command started working.

Bizy

Okay, I'll try that.
Thanks!

(Guess, if someone would look at how my 'uncompressed' library actually looks, he/she would get a heart attack ;-) )

Bizy

Okay.  Works.
But... all of a sudden... MB finds nearly 50.000 files (in stead of 0)(and in stead of the ca. 7000 in this library).

(???)

EDIT:  Closed MB ('end task' - still have this problem that MB keeps endlessly working after closing it... :-(  ).  Added folders to 'exlude'.  And works fine now.  
(Though I would not expect to have to do that.  I would expect that choosing the folders to scan would be enough... (?) )
Last Edit: April 19, 2019, 02:19:49 PM by Bizy

redwing

For me, I had MB scan my backup files to fix some issues with some files in the library.
After that, MB started showing only a part of the library, excluding about a third of library files.
So tried to run Rescan All Files command, but it immediately displayed "File rescan is complete" message on the status bar. Tried it several times with the same results. Then running Compress Library command fixed the issue and recan command started working.
I thought MB got confused about which files are in the library and which are not after scanning my backup files.

Bizy

Hard to tell... (what exactly it is I was doing)

Basically, I'm doing the same thing (for now) all of the time:  tagging, embedding lyrics/artwork, switching between libraries (by closing and reopening MB), making backups with virtual devices, and rescanning (all libraries) every now and then...
And then, all of a sudden, I notice that I can't rescan this or that library.  And I work around it with 'send to'. 
A few days later:  no problem again... So I don't know... (okay, must be disappointing as an answer, hard to replicate... but I really wouldn't know...)

Yet your 'trick' seems to work!

redwing

Did it fix this issue too?

I created several 'virtual devices' for making backups of playlists.
Every now and then this happens:

only part of the selected playlists are synchronised.
MB stops half way and nothing happens anymore.

It could be related. Let us know after trying.

Bizy

Can't tell for sure now.
But I will try this (compress library) first when it - who knows - happens again.

(Coz I 'fixed' the issue by... euh... not fixing it, just doing this:  selecting only one playlist, then another...  and then, 'magically', it does all of the playlists again... (well, not always). In the most recent case (coz I massively changed a lot of tags), I just removed all folders (just to be - absolutely - sure I had all most recent files in the backup folders).  And everything goes fine again.)

redwing

@Steven;

Not really sure but this could be related to the incident I described when file rescan was not working.

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at #=z$k05GIdNgg_Rajk3an3ijqw=.#=znjvHE3f3OpAC(String #=zrTKkb7I=, Boolean #=zVX08hVZjKHzYXYjeBA==)
   at #=zJxZtSJKgPlBv0tc8W$uRS2g=.#=zs6cjubNTHIKD..ctor(#=zcnanmP0pY6u8XIjP3Gevj4s= #=zhBfVQ70=)
   at #=zqz7k0c9S5__lKoeByOrcMi3FOR48.#=zSMNDRNCVGx48(#=zJW9rI7QA1DP9Io49ReSQPIU= #=z5xqfnXk=)
   at #=zJxZtSJKgPlBv0tc8W$uRS2g=.#=zSMNDRNCVGx48(#=zJW9rI7QA1DP9Io49ReSQPIU= #=z5xqfnXk=)
   at #=zpVbl7wXfATBp9dsYrMfLe$Y=.#=z82Lz9mYHdiLmzhG3Vg==(Object #=z3FqGzOM=)

Bizy

Can't follow you there, guys...

But I kind of posted the same error very recently:
https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=28456.0

EDIT: also, due to this, I had to 'retag' several files (3? 4?)... not saved, in spite of having saved them...