Author Topic: Converting from ITUNES  (Read 3632 times)

Masterdance

I am trying to get away from ITUNES and use another music database to store my songs.  I have 20K songs and over 250 playlists with about 60 songs in each playlist.  Can the songs and playlists be uploaded easily into Musicbee?  I have everything categorized by Genre, Star rating, BPMs, Comments, etc.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

You should be able to import your itunes library xml file. I don't remember all the details because I've been off itunes for about 7 years, but you can definitely export playlists in a format musicbee can read (typically m3u), too.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

Make sure itunes is exporting your library, create a MusicBee library, then do this:

https://ccm.net/faq/19944-musicbee-import-your-itunes-library

Masterdance

Is there a place to see how music bee works?  I have been keeping my library in iTunes, but using Virtual DJ to play the songs.  I DJ once a week.  I am not a technical person by any stretch and really don't want to mess up my playlists and database, BUT I got get out of ITUNES.  Latest issues, as a result of their last update, is all the songs that I cut in Audacity are now showing up as 789:59:13 and iTunes could care less.  Got it back by installing an older version. 

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
MusicBee won't mess with any of your files unless you change settings or make direct changes. I suggest you give it a try and see what happens. I wouldn't even worry about using the iTunes library unless there's data there you care about it. If it's only the playlist, make sure itunes is storing then as m3u files and you can scan them into MusicBee as-is.

However, I suggest you test with just one or two, maybe exported copies, until you're comfortable with it. MusicBee will re-save playlists in it's own format (mbp) unless you change the library settings, but you can export them again as m3u any time. Or even have it automatically keep an m3u copy for you.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Steven

• Administrator
If you have auto-organise enabled in iTunes and edit tracks in iTunes such that they get moved then MusicBee will no longer find to the file in question. So best you dont edit tags in iTunes.