Author Topic: i don't understand the library concept  (Read 1383 times)

anbri003

There is a bar from # A B C to Z. If i click on any of those, nothing happens. I expect an alphabetical list. When i try to search things, nothing is found. How can i make a proper index of my music files, ideally even containg MP4 tracks? I am not even sure, if the indexing i have tried worked.

It seems, that Musicbee is quite powerful, but also not very intuitive. Is there maybe a tutorial about those topics?

Bizy

Hé 'Anbri003',

Here an attempt to answer a few of your questions:

- Depending on your 'displayed fields':  click on one of the fields and they will get ordered alphabetically.  Then, if you use the bar (A-Z...), it will quickly lead you to that letter (especially useful for long lists)

- Try:  Tools/Advanced/Rescan all files

- Go to:  Edit/Edit preferences/Library, 'monitored folders'.  These are the folders MB will scan (or not).  Here you can also choose whether or not to include video files.

- More info:  https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/MusicBee_Wiki

b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
There is a bar from # A B C to Z. If i click on any of those, nothing happens. I expect an alphabetical list. When i try to search things, nothing is found.

Just to add to the info Bizy has provided, if the AZ jumpbar isn't working, it will have to do with your sort order. What are you sorting by?
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

anbri003

Sorry, i can't find "Tools/Advanced/Rescan", since there is no main menu "tools", even considering that i use the german version. I have:

Files
Edit
View
Navigation
Extras
Help.

I also tried to install the lyrics plugin, but noone gives a hint, how to activate that lyrics panel. I think i will give up using tis player. so don't bother.
It is too frustrating.

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
Sorry, i can't find "Tools/Advanced/Rescan", since there is no main menu "tools", even considering that i use the german version. I have:

https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/Tools_Menu

Find in web page Ctrl+F

Enter: "Rescan All Files"

Stick with MB, you won't find anything better  ???

Bizy

Hé,

I DO bother, as I enjoy MB so much (I agree with 'Freddy Barker' :-D ) - it is 'powerful' indeed - and I would like you to discover that...  No pressure ;-)

In case you give up:  okay! Good luck with the alternatives.

In case you want to give it another try:

- Guess it's Extras/Advanced/Rescan... then... (?)(or yes, check the Wiki)
- Don't know what exactly you expect from lyrics.  Basically, you don't need the plugin, to make lyrics visible.  You do that be arranging your panels ('Arrange panels...' or 'Configure layout'...  adding 'lyrics' to fi 'right side bar')

b.
Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 09:59:15 PM by Bizy

anbri003

The player looks very promising. Maybe i will stick to it, despites the confusion. For example, i have turned on auto-DJ, which i expect to randomly mix the music, but it still plays down the list alphabetically (sorry, i don't want to open dozens of new threads for each question).

By the way, i have tried to make a new index, started the process, but no activity for indexing visible, and the new index folder stayed empty. I guess, i have to spend a few weeks more with the player to find out things. Thanks again!

Bizy

Andrew:  I'd love to sit next to you and show you around...
(or show you how I use MB - guess you would be ravished... ;-) )

Yes, giving it some time... going through all the settings, clicking or right clicking everything you can possible click...  that might be a good idea...

Wish you a great 'frustrating' time... ;-)

Freddy Barker

• 🎧 MB 3.4.7628P
I also tried to install the lyrics plugin, but noone gives a hint, how to activate that lyrics panel. I think i will give up using tis player. so don't bother.
It is too frustrating.

https://getmusicbee.com/addons/plugins/166/lyrics-reloaded-updated/

http://www.crintsoft.com/MusicBee-lyrics.htm

frankz

IMO you're starting out trying to make things too complicated with plugins and auto-DJ and all this.

Read this: https://musicbee.fandom.com/wiki/The_Anatomy_of_MusicBee
Create a library
Tell MB where to find your files
Move your files from the inbox to your music library, audiobook library, video library as appropriate to the file type
Arrange your panels with the elements you want to see where you want to see them

Then go on from there

When you run into specific problems, search google for the answer (usually found at the Wiki) and then if it's still not clear as specific questions here.

anbri003

Thanks to all, i will keep trying. Some nice things i have already discovered, like those artist infos that are present almost magically.