Author Topic: Please add support for AIFF tag writing!  (Read 3074 times)

Stargate38

I'm sick of seeing the ".AIF files are not supported for tag writing" error every time I try to edit tags on my AIFF files. I've seen posts dating back 5 years about this (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12443.0), and it still hasn't been fixed yet. What gives?

phred

• Global Moderator
As Steven said in the thread you referenced, it is not supported. And given that only two people in that thread, plus yourself here, are asking about it, there's not a huge enough demand for Steven to put time into this.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

I'm sick of seeing the ".AIF files are not supported for tag writing" error every time I try to edit tags on my AIFF files. I've seen posts dating back 5 years about this (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=12443.0), and it still hasn't been fixed yet. What gives?

You can use freeware external taggers Kid3 or Mp3tag (among others) to tag/edit your AIFF files in the ID3v2 format.  MusicBee will read them just fine once you rescan the files.  Sorry if you know that already, but just saying there is an easy workaround.

Stargate38

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I was wondering: What would it take to get you to add support for AIFF tagging? I don't want to use an external tagger; I just want support added to MB. Plus, it would prevent people from complaining about this issue in the future, if anyone does. If you don't, I might just switch back to iTunes - with its annoying CPU hogging issue when logged into Apple - and uninstall MB. I'm really getting tired of seeing that "unsupported" error every time I try to add missing tags. Maybe someone should add it to the bug tracker, possibly even me. That might get people's attention to this problem, and it might be fixed sooner. Maybe it could be added as a plugin.

phred

• Global Moderator
Maybe someone should add it to the bug tracker, possibly even me. That might get people's attention to this problem, and it might be fixed sooner. Maybe it could be added as a plugin.
Plain and simple: It's not a bug. Steven has stated previously that MB does not support it for writing. Adding your request as a bug will only result in the post being deleted since, I'll say it again, it's not a bug.

It is entirely in Steven's hands as to support it or not. There have been less than a dozen people in the past five years asking for this. That's not a big pool.

If you don't, I might just switch back to iTunes - with its annoying CPU hogging issue when logged into Apple - and uninstall MB.
Do you really think that will scare Steven into doing something? If iTunes does what you want, perhaps you'd be better off using instead of MB. Since you seem ready to do that anyway.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

smann

MusicBee is a music manager/player built for Windows first and foremost, AIFF is an Apple format that is comparable to WAV. It's basically an extremely-limited, Apple-wrapped PCM format. As far as I know, AIFF is not open-source and therefore Steven probably runs into many issues for supporting that format in MusicBee.

Converting to a universally-supported format such as WAV, and more preferably a compressed format such as FLAC with support for Vorbis comments, is by far the preferred choice for handling files. You will get more compatibility and way more functionality in regards to tagging, since AIFF is extremely limited in what it can actually write. It truly is a terrible format that has been largely unsupported for years outside of Mac-based products.

Preferred formats that are universal overall...
Uncompressed lossless - WAV (not worth it since lossless is the exact same final output but smaller in size)
Compressed lossless - FLAC
Compressed lossy - MP3 or AAC

There are other formats, but these are by far the most common.
Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 02:03:15 AM by smann

Steven

• Administrator
write support for AIFF files is included in the next v3.5 update

https://getmusicbee.com/patches/MusicBee35_Patched.zip
unzip and replace the existing musicbee application files
Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:44:19 AM by Steven