Author Topic: Icon Change for Windows Store Version?  (Read 2666 times)

swervedriver

First off, just want to give my sincerest thanks to the developer of this app. I've been searching for a powerful music player/manager for Windows forever, but I would always be turned away by how unpolished and dated many of them looked. MusicBee is as beautiful as a stock app, but includes more options than I'll probably ever know how to put to use, and I'm truly impressed and thankful.

My question is about customizing the app icon. I decided to download the Windows Store version, which I normally don't do, but since it was offered on the website and promised auto updates I decided to go for it. However I ran into a bit of a snag trying to change the app icon, as it seems you can't do this for apps downloaded from the Windows Store.

The Change Icon button in the Preferences does seem to change the icon up in the top-left corner next to the hamburger menu, but the taskbar and start menu icons won't change even after a restart, and Windows won't let me add the custom icon file I want to the folder that stores skins and icons (I'm assuming cause this is the UWP version, and those AppData folders are locked down).

And advice how to get around this? I suppose I could uninstall this version of MusicBee and go with the non-UWP one, but I set it up the way I like now and would rather not.

phred

• Global Moderator
While the store version does have auto-updates, they are -way- behind the installer or portable versions. I suggest using the portable and updating manually. Especially since there are patches for v 3.3 being issued a couple of times a week.

Having never used the store version, I don't know if the options exist to save the settings and to save the layout. If do, first save your settings: Edit > Saved Settings > Save Settings Snapshot then save your layout: View > Import/Export > Save Panel Arrangement.

I would leave the store version as is and then install the portable ideally in a partition other than c:. If all you have is c:, then make sure NOT to install it to a Windows protected directory. Create a new directory under c: such as c:\Music\Bee. Then then import the settings and load the panel arrangement. If it's all as you had it before, then uninstall the store version.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here