Author Topic: Tagging software for M4A?  (Read 2308 times)

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Does anybody know any particularly good software for tagging M4A, especially with multiple artists and performers, and especially from the MusicBrainz database? This is one area in which Picard is utterly deficient. There's a ticket that's been open for nine years about the fact that multiple artist tagging is unreadable by other software without special handling, and another about the fact it can't see or write custom tags that's been around for two years. And it doesn't write performers for the same reason.

Right now, my best idea for a solution is to make copies of the m4a tracks in mp3 format, tag them with Picard, and then copy the tags back with MusicBee.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

sveakul

psychoadept:  you might want to try Kid3 (https://kid3.sourceforge.io/), which will import from MusicBrainz.  Highlight the track, then drop File-->Import from MusicBrainz Release, or Import from MusicBrainz Fingerprint, both of which result in a bunch of options and tags.

I have never used Kid3 with MusicBrainz so can't comment further, but I use this app for all my tagging incl. M4A.  The developer is very responsive via email.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Thanks, I'll give that a try.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)