Author Topic: Copying device settings to new device  (Read 1718 times)

Valendra

Hi everyone,

I have a very large music collection, as I'm sure most of you do, and do not always sync 100% of it to my phone.  Since everything is broken down by folder structure, I just use the 'folders' option under the device and choose which albums I'm actually apt to listen to on the go.  I just got a new phone and, as one would expect, it's detected as a new device.  I do not really want to painstakingly re-check all those little boxes under 'folders' though if I can help it (it's a couple hundred, once was enough!).  I'd really love a way to copy these settings over to the new device!  Alternately, if there's just a better way to do this altogether I'm open to learning!

Thank you very much!

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum!

You should be able to choose the "preserve folders and filenames" setting for the device, and then send whatever tracks you want to the device, or put them on a playlist and sync it.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

Valendra

Hi psychoadept,

I don't think that this will help me, unless I misunderstand what it does?  My issue is with the selection of folders to be copied, not how they appear on the sdcard.  They are already lovely and organized and exactly how I want them, no change is needed there.  Under the device's "Music" section, not "Settings" is where the problem lies.  At the very bottom there is a "Folders" checkbox and I selected the several hundred folders of albums I wanted to copy to the device, since their parent directory more than I want to copy to my phone (it's also larger than my sdcard anyway!).  As one would imagine, hunting through this list & checking those off was a time-consuming process, but I couldn't really find a better way to filter out what got copied over so I just bit the bullet and did it once.

Regardless, on the new device this well-curated list of folders to copy over is long gone, and I'd like to import/export that selection between devices so as not to reinvest the time this would take to do again manually.  I can see both the old and new devices under Edit Preferences > Devices, so the data is available somewhere, but there doesn't appear to be any obvious way to right-click a device and "export settings" or something like that, which is basically what I'd be after.  I do not mind mucking about w/the config files themselves if they're plain text & easy enough to edit manually.

I hope this makes sense!  Thanks!

redwing

Open MusicBee3Settings.ini file from AppData folder (if you can't locate it, use Help> Support> View Settings File) with a text editor.
And find "<MusicSourceFolders>". It's under each device settings and, if you want you can copy other settings as well between different device settings.

frankz

Open MusicBee3Settings.ini file from AppData folder (if you can't locate it, use Help> Support> View Settings File) with a text editor.
And find "<MusicSourceFolders>". It's under each device settings and, if you want you can copy other settings as well between different device settings.
Geez, that's awesome. I'd have never thought of that directly copying within the ini file.  That should be a Tips and Tricks and/or Wiki FAQ for sure.  People get new devices frequently.

Valendra

Woo!  It worked!  This is exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you SO MUCH!! <3