Author Topic: 'In' and 'outside' MusicBee  (Read 5507 times)

Dryst

The file was indeed updated exactly how I described in my use case.  MusicBee itself updated the rating tag.  The question is why is it claiming that this file was updated outside of MusicBee?  I actually used to rescan my entire library when I initially saw this message.  Now I know it's an incorrect message and to ignore it.

Bee-liever

• MB Version: 3.6.8878 P
If the files are in a designated Media folder on the QNAS, it could be the Multimedia Manager scanning the updated metadata tags in your audio files that is causing the issue.
MusicBee and my library - Making bee-utiful music together

Dryst

No.  They are not.  Only MusicBee has modified these files and nothing else touched them.

frankz

FYI I also get "File has been updated outisde of MusicBee" when I rate songs from a remote install.  

My setup:
Music Files in network share \\DESKTOP\Music\Organized\* and Library in network share \\DESKTOP\Music\MB on my desktop computer
Main listening area is via a laptop accessing that library and those files over network share
Now Playing is "Playing Tracks" and I usually rate by clicking the stars, which I've added as a field in the track listing.

I've taken to just rescanning the files via "recently played" when I get to my desktop computer.  The ratings are there, but MB thinks something else wrote them.

Interestingly, if I rate the files using the android Remote app connected to the laptop install, they do not show up as "Updated Outside of MusicBee"  Only the ones I update in the MB interface do.

If I update tags using the tag editor at the laptop, this does not happen.  Only if I rate a song by clicking the stars.
Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:34:40 PM by frankz

Heavesd

That happens to me when I update an album but MusicBee suddenly closes. My library is on auto-organize.

Steven

• Administrator
If I update tags using the tag editor at the laptop, this does not happen.  Only if I rate a song by clicking the stars.
only when you rate the song while it is playing?
Also how quickly are you opening the track in the tag editor - while it is still playing and sever seconds after it has finished playing?
Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:47:12 PM by Steven

frankz

I will play with it when I get a chance.  I want to say it's only when I rate a song as it is playing, but I can't confirm 100% that it doesn't happen if I rate the song after it is done playing or before it plays as well.

Are you asking when I notice that I am getting the flashing ! and message that it's been updated outside MusicBee?  That I do know.  It doesn't matter.  I can open the tag editor right after and I will get that message or I can open the track in tag editor several hours/days/weeks later and I will also get the message. 

If I edit the track in tag editor at the laptop and save, then it doesn't happen whether I do it as the song is playing or after the song is over.

frankz

OK.  I did a quick experiment.  Played some songs on the laptop and then closed MB there and came over and opened it on the Desktop to check tag editor.

Rated song when it was done playing: Got ! message
Rated song as it was playing: Got ! message
Rated song in the upcoming tracks before it played: Got ! message
Rated song in MusicBee Remote as it was playing: No Message

"Everyone" has "Full Control" over the network share.  Read, Write, Modify, etc.

frankz

Two more:
Rated song as it was playing in the player panel rather than track list: Got ! message
Rated song by opening tag editor and rating it there while playing: No Message

Steven

• Administrator
I cant reproduce this but I have a theory why it might not work. If you are able to do a test on a file on the local computer then that would provide useful info

frankz

Steven

• Administrator
if anyone is happy to run a debug version to see whats going on then let me know

Steven

• Administrator
https://www.mediafire.com/file/l544dztc32uik3p/MusicBeeDebugFileUpdate.zip/file
unzip and replace musicbee.exe

after setting the rating for a file and checking in the tag editor, can you send me the new info at the end of the error log

frankz

Just to be clear, this is on the host computer and not the laptop "listening" computer, right?