Author Topic: 'In' and 'outside' MusicBee  (Read 5472 times)

Bizy

Hello,

Quite often, I got this feedback message:
"The file(s) being edited have been updated outside of Musicbee - you might have to rescan..."
Why?  
What could possibly 'have updated' those files when it's not me?
All those files are part of MusicBee, part of the monitored folters, part of the scanned files.  So they are definitely not 'outside' of Musicbee.

Better question might be:  what can I do to avoid this?

Thanks for any possible answer.

b.
Full installer Version 3_4_7805
Portable Editon 3_4_7805 P

frankz

The message means that the tags in the file do not match the tags in that MusicBee library and must be rescanned to pick up those changes.  It's a pretty clear message.

It's likely because you're updating the files in one library and opening in another.  Either that or you edited them in another tool like mp3tag, but I'm guessing it's the first thing.

It says "outside of Musicbee" but in this case it's "outside of this library."  Most people don't have multiple libraries that contain the same files, so the message matches most people's usage.

Did you rescan them like the message said to do?

To answer your question about avoiding it, if you're going to have the same files in multiple libraries you can't avoid it. You need to rescan to pick up the changes you made in one library in other libraries.  There's not much to "avoid." It's a useful instruction. 

I don't know if "on startup check for missing or updated files" under Library settings would do the rescan automatically for you or not but it's worth checking into.
Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 12:10:29 AM by frankz

Bizy

Frank:

It's likely because you're updating the files in one library and opening in another.  Either that or you edited them in another tool like mp3tag, but I'm guessing it's the first thing.

I can assure you it's none of those two!!!!
(not using another program NOR doing any changes in another libary on the same file)

I agree it's a pretty clear message, but as I wrote:  it's NOT ME changing/updating anything whatsoever...

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
It's likely because you're updating the files in one library and opening in another.  Either that or you edited them in another tool like mp3tag, but I'm guessing it's the first thing.

(not using another program NOR doing any changes in another libary on the same file)

But you said here you were trying to run three different MusicBee libraries, which have some overlap:

I have three libraries (libraries L1, L2 and L3).
I want to keep L1 and L2 separate (reasons don't matter here).
L3 includes L1 and L2.
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)

frankz

Frank:

It's likely because you're updating the files in one library and opening in another.  Either that or you edited them in another tool like mp3tag, but I'm guessing it's the first thing.

I agree it's a pretty clear message, but as I wrote:  it's NOT ME changing/updating anything whatsoever...
Really? Because in this post you say you're doing exactly that.

Either way, good luck figuring out your myriad issues.

Bizy

L1 and L2 are totally different.
Tags/album art/lyrics I update in L1 do not affect songs in L2 and the other way round.

L3 contains both L1 and L2.
But I don't do updates in L3.
For now, I only use it to do the backup.

Bizy

It happens while I'm working in one library (especially L2, the biggest library, on an external disk).  Not leaving it, not doing anything else...

navporky

Hi,

Just want to share that I was experiencing the same error, even without multiple libraries and I fixed it with a simple change - perhaps this is unique to the setup I have. Sharing for community benefit. My setup:

1. While, the PC has the MusicBee Library, my scanned folders (media files repository) are temporarily hosted on LAN on an Android media box, over samba.

2. However, Android or a media player running on it - inbuilt or PowerAmp seems to be updating  these files, even though PowerAmp is not configured for this specific folder hosting the repository.

3. All I did is that I made the root folder of the repository "hidden" and since then I am not getting the "The file(s) being edited have been updated outside of Musicbee - you might have to rescan..." notice.

4. The final intended location for the repository is a linux based NAS box, where this sort of touching is unlikely.

Dryst

I also get this message 100% of the time.  My experience has been it is unreliable and I simply ignore it.

Steven

• Administrator
Something is updating the music files outside of musicbee eg. just by opening WMP can cause your files to be updated by WMP.

Roby

Occasionally and randomly I have the same problem, even on newly added mp3 files to the library. I simply ignore it, because apparently everything is fine.

Dryst

Something is updating the music files outside of musicbee eg. just by opening WMP can cause your files to be updated by WMP.

Here is an example that just happened moments ago:

MusicBee itself updated the file when I lowered the rating from 4 to 3.  No other applications or processes have this file open other than MusicBee.  The file in question is on my network storage and is an APE file.  All I did was lower the rating, skip to the next file in my Auto DJ playlist, followed by clicking Edit in the right click menu for the file in the playlist.

Steven

• Administrator
MusicBee itself updated the file when I lowered the rating from 4 to 3.  No other applications or processes have this file open other than MusicBee.  The file in question is on my network storage and is an APE file.  All I did was lower the rating, skip to the next file in my Auto DJ playlist, followed by clicking Edit in the right click menu for the file in the playlist.
Could you send me a link to that file

Dryst

I copied the file to my dropbox site.  This is a direct download of the file available.  It is 33.1MB in size.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/gpe18rtstwn9lgs/11-Gloria%2C%20Lonely%20Boy.ape

Steven

• Administrator
I am not having any issues with that file. I am assuming the file really was updated (you can confirm by viewing it with the tag inspector which is available in the tag editor window).
Could you send me a link to your settings file (help/ support/ view settings)