Author Topic: Auto-Tagger  (Read 33978 times)

Steven

• Administrator
i'm using Handsford Rowe where as you are using Hansford Rowe

antiPOP

Because its a wrong tag, I've replaced today with the proper name which is Hansford. Take a look

Indeed, in the freedb is a wrong tag Handsford Rowe, foobar just returns me with that name.

So, no problem at all. Thanks for your time. Great job!

antiPOP

A little bug

EDIT: Please add freedb2.org source for the genre because I'm getting completely false results in first place.
I gave highest priority, for discogs and I'm getting more reliable results, but not always. foobar returns me with proper genre tag in most cases.
Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 10:28:35 PM by antiPOP

Steven

• Administrator
could you give me a couple of examples so i can check it out
i've fixed the minor GUI bug

antiPOP

Try with Adam Holzman & Brave New World / The Big Picture ( I got Classical Guitar genre tag, the proper is Jazz Fusion or Fusion)   Adam Nitti / Liquid Blue (I got Folk, World, & Country ), Alan Joseph / Heavy Water Music ( I got Electronic genre tag, the proper is jazz) . I could give you a bunch examples. freedb almost always returns me correct genre tag. To be honest, I don't need to change any genre tag, but for those who looking for tags it could be confusing.

Steven

• Administrator
Alan Joseph / Heavy Water Music
discogs has this as Electronic, freedb has it as misc and last.fm has no tags
are you saying foobar was able to return Jazz?

antiPOP

Here you go:

This is from Tag&Rename, but foobar returns me with jazz genre too. Both of them are using freedb.

Last.fm is not a good source for the genre tag.

Steven

• Administrator
i'll move this to the wishlist - its not really a bug as it is getting the tags as reported by last.fm or discogs.
i'll add support for genres from freedb

antiPOP

Thanks. But I think freedb should have the highest priority in the preferences, by default because is the most reliable source.

VX

There are a few requests on the forum to enhance the MB Auto-Tagger with full support for the Discogs service. According to the Wikipedia list it has the largest database for Artists (1,6 million), the number of releases ( 2 million) and second when it comes to number of tracks (14,6 million).
Furthermore, it's available worldwide  :)

Discogs is currently supported by the following Tag Editors:

MP3tag — freeware tag editor with Discogs support (batch and spreadsheet interfaces).
foobar2000 — freeware media player & music management software with a plugin for Discogs support.
TagScanner — freeware tag editor with Discogs, FreeDB, TrackType.org support.
ASMT MP3 Tagger — single release tagger with Discogs support.
Helium Music Manager — music management software with a plugin for Discogs support.
OrangeCD Catalog - music management software with Discogs support.
TigoTago — spreadsheet-based tag editor with Discogs support.
MP3 Collection Organizer — batch tagger with Discogs support.
The GodFather — freeware tag editor with Discogs script support.
The Tagger — MP3 and AAC formats tag editor for Mac OS X with Discogs support.
Tagog — Linux audio file tagger with Discogs support.
Jaikoz - OSX/Windows/Linux spreadsheet-based tag editor with Discogs support.

I hope the service will be fully implemented to the MB Auto-Tagger. Music Bee currently uses Discogs for Genre and Artwork retrieval, but not for other track details update nor Audio-CD ripping.

Steven

• Administrator
VX,
I've always found discogs to be painfully slow. Are you actually finding cases where albums are not in musicbrainz or freedb but are in discogs? Its not to say i wont include it at some point, but as it stands it doesnt seem high-priority to me

VX

VX,
I've always found discogs to be painfully slow. Are you actually finding cases where albums are not in musicbrainz or freedb but are in discogs?

I can remember few albums only that were recognized with Discogs properly, but MusicBee was not able to recognize them. I did the test quite long time ago, when FreeDB service wasn't supported with MusicBee, so maybe the situation has changed and Discogs is not needed anymore  ???

Maybe someone could make a fast test with a few Audio-CDs/Albums/Tracks that MusicBee is not able to retrieve proper and satisfactory tags and one of above mentioned Tag Editors with Discogs support gives better results ???

Thank you very much, AntiPOP for making the tests and comparisons with Foobar and FreeDB  :)

I guess You gave some users a reason for abandon Foobar for good  ;D (I'm using it alongside Quintessential Media Player and TagScanner mainly for testing purposes  ;D )

VX

Doing some brief test I noticed two other bugs with Auto-Tagger that I'd like to be fixed. Wile listening to my Audio-CDs with MB I noticed that

1. MB shows wrong cover for the album by default from Last FM, but when I use Auto-Tag by Album it can find proper cover and lyrics for the track or album.

2. Polish diacritical marks are not displayed properly in the Lyrics panel (wrong encoding by default).

Note that I can reproduce the above mentioned bugs with wrong cover display and lyrics issue with many other Audio-CDs, not just the one shown above. The wrong cover is often shown for known international albums (Golden Stars: Engelbert for example).
Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 03:49:40 PM by VX

Steven

• Administrator
Once an album or artist name is set, the artwork lookup is exactly the same for CDs or for auto-tagging.
The artist/album for a CD is automated and based on lookup using a key derived from tracks on the CD. Notice on the album-autotagger that the album name of the release you selected has diacritic marks (even though you didnt search using diacritic marks), where-as the album name on the CD tracks doesnt have that.
I expect that would explain the difference.

For lyrics, its not uncommon for the lyric providers to have messed up encoding of lyrics on their side. If you give me the exact name of the artist and track title, and the order of the lyric providers in your preferences i can check

VX

Once an album or artist name is set, the artwork lookup is exactly the same for CDs or for auto-tagging.The artist/album for a CD is automated and based on lookup using a key derived from tracks on the CD. Notice on the album-autotagger that the album name of the release you selected has diacritic marks (even though you didnt search using diacritic marks), where-as the album name on the CD tracks doesnt have that. I expect that would explain the difference.

Not at all. Compare the following album with NO diacritic marks:

And to surprise you more, my album cover looks completely different than both shown above. (Mine album is manufactured and printed in WEST Germany as a Club Edition if you are curious ;) )

For lyrics, its not uncommon for the lyric providers to have messed up encoding of lyrics on their side. If you give me the exact name of the artist and track title, and the order of the lyric providers in your preferences i can check

As far as the lyrics issue I'm going to open another topic, probably in Bug Reports section, but I need more time to inspect the issue.
Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 06:24:57 PM by VX