Author Topic: Will not import from 'A' folder  (Read 1412 times)

CC_Rider

Gents,
I'm ready to tear my hair out. MB will not import anything from my 'A' folder. That is, all artists whos name begins with 'A". For instance, ABBA, April Wine... The #-Z tabs all work, except for # and A. Upon further research, I have nothing that begins with '#'. My entire folder of 'A' artists is missing. That constitutes about 350 albums, and ~3,800 MP3's. Any ideas?

CCR

sveakul

Are you importing to the Inbox, or to the Library?  How are you attempting to import those files--via Prefs/Library/Monitored folders (and what settings), or manually via Files/Add Files to Library?  If you try the latter, what happens when you attempt it--message, etc.?   What type and version of MusicBee are you using?

CC_Rider

Hi, thanks for the reply. To answer your questions, I am using the latest version downloaded a few days ago.(3.2.6902) on a windows 10 machine. I tried importing to the inbox as well, same result.. empty. I am using whatever defaults are set by MB. I have pointed it to my root MP3 folder and unchecked my Karaoke folder as I don't want them in my main library. The complete library is about 108,000 files, ~9,100 albums, all MP3. I do not have MB monitor a specific folder. When I import (using the INS key) I navigate/select to the folder(s) that appears to be missing d:\mp3\_A_ . I have one folder for each letter of the alphabet,, _B_, _C_, _D_... etc. and a few specialty folders. MB found them all except _A_.  Normally, I see activity in the lower left of the main MB screen. For the entire library, I watched for about an hour while it counted up to the total. Afterwards, during the import of the _A_ folder, I saw brief activity for a few seconds (should have taken at least 1 min. for ~3,800 files) and result was 'no new files added'. I have searched (top right search bar) through 'local node' and 'entire library' with same result. When I click on any letter of the alphabet (jump bar? is that the right name?) and MB takes me to the first album that begins with that letter,, except A.(goes to B, which corresponds with the beginning)

I just tried to add files. This route only allows addition of one folder at at time... My _A_ folder contains 71 'artist' folders. Some artists have up to 30+ more folders(1 / album)  It would be highly impractical to do all this manually.(and then what about changes?) However, the one folder I added did show up in the library.

Attempted again to import with same null result. Is there another way to interrogate the DB or kludge MB into displaying what's in this one folder?

I added files to the inbox, it states that 17 files were added. But nothing displays. It turns out they were added to my main lib. Is this the desired behavior?

How does one delete and start over again? I found no library option to do this. Perhaps a reset would help? I also created a new test library, and had the same results as described above.

Again, any help appreciated.
Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 05:30:26 PM by phred

phred

• Global Moderator
@CC_Rider- I removed the size tags in your previous post as it made the post take up four times the amount of space.
Download the latest MusicBee v3.5 or 3.6 patch from here.
Unzip into your MusicBee directory and overwrite existing files.

----------
The FAQ
The Wiki
Posting screenshots is here
Searching the forum with Google is  here

sveakul

How does one delete and start over again? I found no library option to do this. Perhaps a reset would help? I also created a new test library, and had the same results as described above.

To delete the library, follow the instructions in frankz's post here: https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=25786.msg147528#msg147528

Another option is to uninstall MusicBee altogether, and start over with the latest 3.3x version which contains many updates and fixes since the one you have now (https://getmusicbee.com/forum/index.php?topic=27074.0).  You'll need to start with a new install of 3.2.6902 as the 3.3 package is an incremental updater that installs over the existing 3.2.  And, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND using the "Portable" version of MusicBee, installed to a non-system folder, like C:\MusicBee, to avoid Windows "permissions" issues.

psychoadept

• Global Moderator
Reinstalling may be overkill at this point. I suggest using the computer node to navigate to that folder within MusicBee. Then display Category field or right click on one of the tracks and look at the Send To menu to see what section MusicBee thinks it's in (whatever is grayed out is where MusicBee has it in your library,)
MusicBee Wiki
Use & improve MusicBee's documentation!

Latest beta patch (3.5)
(Unzip and overwrite existing program files)